Chapter 11- How to Steal A Heart

This is the second last capter i think! :D please vote and comment, it means alot to me.

<3 - Bambi

Chapter 11- How To Steal A Heart

“It isn’t going to work out. We can’t live like this. She doesn’t love me. She never will.”

I pressed my ear against the door, straining to make out what Jason was saying.

“We have to find a way out. There must be a loophole.”

“We looked for loopholes. There isn’t a way out. You know that!” A woman’s voice hissed. I assumed it belonged to Elnora.

“We didn’t look everywhere! We could dig deeper, there has to b-”

“No Jason! There is no loophole. Just wait and see. I have a feeling everything will sort itself out soon enough.”

“What?” he sounded confused, “How do y-... What have you done?”

My breath caught in my throat. I didn’t wait to hear anymore. She was definitely going to kill me. It was the only way out of the marriage. 

I turned and fled from the hall. 

-----

My closet was chaos. The drawers were overflowing with clothes. Fabric of every colour poured over the shelves as I tossed things over my shoulder.

I crammed my belongings into a large backpack. I almost broke the zipper trying to force it shut.

I clambered onto the head of the bed, and hauled my bag onto the window sill. I took a minute to catch my breath. My heart was hammering in my chest. My eyes stung and tears skulked in the corners. My breathing was rapid and choked by tears. 

I pressed one hand against the glass pane and with the other, I fumbled to undo the latch holding the window shut.

I grasped the ledge and peered out of the wooden frame. The wind rushed past me and my vision was blocked by flaxen curls.

It’s too far down.

Find another way.

For the first time in days I finally listened to my own advice. I leapt off the bed and burst out on to the hall, lugging my bag behind me.

I gripped one strap with two hands and strained to lift it onto my shoulders.

It’s too heavy.

Leave it.

I fell back into my old pattern of ignoring the voice.

It’s slowing you down!

Don’t risk it!

It was true. Despite my reluctance to acknowledge it,  I struggled to run down the corridor with my bag.

At least lighten the load.

Take some things out.

Quickly!

I caved in and dropped to the ground. I unfastened the rucksack and seized various items I could do without. I hurled them in every direction, in a desperate attempt to reduce the weight.

As I crouched on the polished floorboards, I finally realized the ringing in my ears was actually a high pitched screeching coming from the room just ahead of me. 

My ears pricked up and I began to try and make out the words.

“IT’S BETTER LIKE THIS! THIS WAY, EVERYONE WINS!”