Chapter Six- For Richer or for Poorer

Chapter Six- For Richer, or for Poorer

Alice buried her face in her hands. Caleb had looked so hurt when she told him she didn’t know who she was meant to be with. He looked like he was trying really hard. Alice just wasn’t sure about him. He didn’t look at her softly. His eyes were guarded as though he was hiding something.

Alice rolled on to her side and wrapped her arms around a pillow. She lifted her head and pulled it close to her. Turning it vertically she lay her head down and hugged it tightly as more tears blurred her vision. The crying young woman closed her eyes tight and thought back to the conversation she had minutes ago.

“I’ll find a way. You’re meant to be with me. Not him...”

“I don’t know who i’m meant to be with anymore.”

Caleb looked torn between disappointment and anger.

“I..have to be with you.” he pleaded.

Alice looked into the hard hazel eyes of her ex boyfriend. Why was he so desperate to get her back all of a sudden? Not long ago he had been throwing rocks at her. Not long ago he had called her a liar. Alice couldn’t help but wonder what it was that changed his mind...

“Alice?” Caleb ventured.

The woman’s lime green eyes snapped to the man across the room.

“We can’t talk now.” she whispered finally. “Come back tomorrow.”

Alice stopped remembering and smacked her own forehead fiercely. Why did she have to drag it out? She knew she was only making it harder for herself. Alice knew she should have just let him go. There wasn’t a way out. That contract was legitimate. There had been a lot of money involved. It was too late to back out now. A hundred years too late.

* * * *

“Morning!” Alice said brightly, in the hopes of starting the day nicely.

“Morning?” Jason said raising an eyebrow at the cheerful woman entering the lounge room.

Alice ignored her husband’s quizzical look and placed a two mugs of coffee on the table, before slumping down into the black leather couch, opposite the matching arm chair Jason was sitting on. 

Jason put down the newspaper he was reading and smiled uncertainly at his wife.

Alice picked up her coffee and took a sip. She watched the dark haired man across from her, pick up his newspaper and continue to read it. 

Alice snorted playfully at her husband. His chestnut eyes flicked up to meet her lime ones and he lowered his paper.

“Something funny?” he said, not unkindly.

Alice grinned happily.