• chapter 37 •

• Eliza •

I emerged from my bedroom about twenty minutes after dressing my wounds and cleaning myself up. Alex was no longer laying on the couch, but instead there was a note in his place.

Eliza,
I didn't know if I should stay or go when you were asleep, so I just went back to my apartment. Besides, I've had a migraine for the past few days and I just need to be at home for a little while instead of interfering at your house. You can come over and visit if you want to, just come over any time and if you don't just text me later.
Love, Alex<3

I smiled as I rubbed my finger over his little ink drawn heart and his messy handwriting. Making up my mind, I go to his apartment, pushing all thoughts of Maria away as I did so.

I knocked on the door as soon as I got there, checking to make sure I was at the correct apartment. He didn't come to answer the door, so I twisted the doorknob and the door swung open.

"Alex?" I called, looking around his small apartment. I glanced towards the kitchen and saw the edge of a blanket by the doorway. That's kind of weird. I walked over to the kitchen and saw Alex, passed out on the floor by the open fridge, his sleeves coated in what looked like blood.

I staggered backwards and tried not to scream, cry, throw up. I couldn't tell if he was breathing or not. What if he hit his head and got a bad concussion? Or fell on something and broke a bone? Or something worse? I dashed over to him and tried for a pulse in his neck, only receiving slow and weak heartbeats. He seemed like he was barely breathing. I pulled out my phone with shaking hands and called for an ambulance.

How did this happen? Did someone do something to him, was his migraine a sign of something much worse? I cried into his chest until the ambulance arrived, crying harder when I remembered how he'd always comfort me when I cried and now he couldn't.

They let me ride in the ambulance with him. I didn't want to at first but then I realized I wasn't going to leave him. I needed to be with him.

I called Peggy while I sat there on the way to the hospital. Not my father, not Angelica. Just Peggy. I knew Alex and her were friends, and she'd want to know what was happening.

"Hey Liza!" She chirped form the other end of the phone.

"Peggy..." was all I managed to choke out before breaking down in tears once more.

"Eliza! What wrong, why are you crying? Is it Alex, did he do something to you? Please tell me what's wrong, you never do this to me!" She said worriedly, her usual bright demeanor disappearing. I sniffled and attempted to compose myself.

"I'm in an ambulance because I found Alex passed out on his floor, barely alive." I said, sobbing as soon as the words left my mouth. Peggy gasped and didn't say anything.

"I'm so fucking scared Peggy, please, I don't know what to do. And-and I'm so afraid that something bad is going to happen and he won't make it and I just really need my sister right now, please." I said. I heard her inhale deeply on the other side of the phone.

"Of course. I'll be there in 10 minutes. Do you want me to bring Angelica or Dad?" She asked.

"Um, not really right now. Can we just have them come later? I don't want to have to deal with more people right now, just you." I said.

"Ok. I love you, alright? Be strong. I'll see you soon, Eliza. Take deep breaths, ok?" I told her I would and that I loved her too and then hung up. At least someone would be with me for this.

I had to sit in an empty waiting room while the doctors made sure Alex was alright. Peggy came running in a few minutes after we got there and I broke down again when I saw her. I practically bombarded her with a huge bear hug and sobbed into her shoulder for ten minutes.