BONUS CHAPTER: Clark's Story (Prologue)

Start from the beginning

"Hi, Ana! Having fun?" The object of her thoughts sat next to her. His cheeks were already painted red by the alcohol creeping into his bloodstreams. His usually impeccable dark hair fell in tousled waves down his forehead. Completing the boyish look were eyes that crinkled at the corners and pearly whites that could sell billions of toothpaste.

Ana's fingers curled like rakes in her desire to tangle them in his hair. "Yes, I am."

They were at their company's annual party. Now that the official program was over, everyone was just drinking and mingling about.

"Have I told you that you look pretty tonight?"

The way his gaze caressed her face, brushing through every feature as if she were a painting, was enough to make her blush.

"Really?" It took all her willpower not to stutter. "I bet you say that to all the ladies."

Clark was always generous with his compliments. The problem was, he dished them out indiscriminately. It wasn't because she was special.

"Nah, I only say things when I mean them. You really do look beautiful."

Ana didn't know what to say. It was true. She did put in more effort in choosing her clothes and doing her makeup, but when she looked at the mirror before she left her apartment, all she saw was the same boring face staring back at her. If he really thought she looked nice, then there was probably a ten percent chance her plan was going to work.

Clark cleared his throat, drawing her attention back to him. "Anyway, have you seen Devin?"

She suppressed a sigh. The only time he was finally talking to her, she had to get lost in her own thoughts. She needed to get her head in the game. "Um, Devin already left with his girlfriend. From the looks of it, he was eager to get her home."

Devin Lee was her boss and the other co-founder of their company. Yes, she, too, was some hotshot CEO's secretary.

"Ha, figures." Clark shook his head, a wry twist to his lips. "He's totally whipped."

She gave him what she hoped was an alluring smile. "Since he's gone, why don't you hang out with me?"

Lame. That was the best you can do?

She rushed to add, "I mean I'd like to have some company."

"Sure! I'm planning to hang around for a little bit anyway."

"Hey, boss!" A couple of her co-workers appeared by them, wine glasses in hand. "Happy new year!"

"Happy new year!" Clark raised his glass, causing the others to follow suit.

Ana waited for the ritual to finish, all the while shooting glares at the intruders. It was customary during company parties for employees to toast their bosses in an attempt to get them drunk. If Ana didn't put an end to it, then Clark would be too inebriated for what she had in mind. Once her co-workers had left, she grabbed his arm.

Desperate times called for desperate measures.

"Clark, can I talk to you for a minute?" She tilted her head towards the empty terrace, indicating she wanted to go there.

Clark agreed, although his eyebrows shot up in question. He was probably surprised at the way she was clinging to him.

Ana relished the feel of his hard muscles underneath the posh suit, while she dragged him to their destination. As soon as she shut the door behind them, the noise of the party dimmed to a faint murmur. With reluctance, she dropped his arm and pulled her coat closer as the cold air nipped at every exposed surface of skin it can get to.