I wasn't sure if I'd have scars there forever. The thought of scars was unpleasant, but if whoever saw them didn't like them, too bad, so sad.

But I hated the look Derek got in his eyes when he saw those scars. Like he gave them to me. Like it was his fault.

I sighed as I took his face in my hands, and our eyes met.

"I'm fine," I insisted, kissing him hard. "This wasn't your fault."

He rested his forearms on either side of my face and huffed softly. "I know." Then he kissed me again, and I guided his hand to my chest gently. His touch was featherlight, no doubt because of my tender ribs, tracing circles along my side as he kissed me thoroughly. One flick of his tongue had my toes curling and fingers tightening in his hair.

I slipped my hand up the back of his shirt, and he took his cue to take it off. Derek shifted back, lifting it over his head in the sexiest motion I'd seen in weeks, tossing it on the floor.

Then there was a knock on the loft door, shattering through my sexy bubble, and I flopped limply onto the bed with a huff.

"Can they just not?" I groaned, digging my nails into the sheets.

"I'll get it," Derek offered, reaching for the still-warm shirt on the hardwood floor and slipped it back on. I did the same, sitting up, just before he opened the door and revealed my sister.

My interrupting sister. I fought the urge to growl and I knew my glare held the same sentiment.

"What do you want?" I asked, reining in my snarl.

Rosie just walked in, her smile as innocent as ever.

"Ophelia kicked Ginkgo," she replied, crossing her arms.

I frowned. "Okay... Is she alright?"

"Ophelia? She's fine, just out there grazing."

"I meant Ginkgo. And what happened? Gingko must've done something to piss off Ophelia, or she wouldn't have kicked her. They can figure it out; I'm not playing horse-referee. Ginkgo doesn't need stitches, does she?"

"No," Rosie muttered.

"Then I don't know why you bothered to tell me," I sighed.

"You could go ride her, let her energy out," Rosie suggested, looking at Derek with a strange gleam in her eyes before she glanced back to me. "Or at least lunge her. She's going to get fat and lazy if you let her graze all day."

"I can take care of my own horse," I replied. "Can you go find somewhere else to be?"

"Why? So you can make out with Derek?"

Derek cleared his throat and shifted his feet as I stood up, fighting to keep my fists unclenched.

"I honestly don't know why you care, Rosie," I snapped, cheeks heating. "What I do with my boyfriend isn't any of your business. Get out of my room."

For a moment I thought she'd try to argue like usual, but she blew a hissing breath, glaring for a moment longer before sweeping out the door and down the stairs.

"What a piece of work," I said under my breath, as Derek came back over to where I was standing at the foot of the bed. "That killed the mood. I think that's what she wanted anyway."

"Then don't let it," Derek breathed against my ear, sneaking his hand around my waist. I smirked despite internally seething over what Rosie said, letting him kiss my cheek and my neck and shoulder, brushing my fingers through his thick hair.

"I think she has a crush on you," I murmured, his lips and tongue sliding over my collarbone as he laughed against my skin. "Too bad you're mine," and he tipped me back down onto the bed, a giggle crashing into me.

"I like hearing you say that," Derek whispered, kissing me firmly, and with a stroke of his tongue, he made me forget language for a while.

*

"I really should do something about Ophelia," I murmured from where I sat by the door overlooking the back fields of our property, where the grey horse was munching away at the grass. I hadn't ridden her in weeks, longer than I'd ever gone without.

"Are you not supposed to let them have breaks?" Derek asked from where he sat at my desk.

"It's not like that," I replied. "Horses like to be ridden, especially ones like Ophelia. If she lays around all day, she'll get bored. And not riding a horse enough is like not walking a dog. They need the exercise. Man, I wish we had a dog."

"What about that puppy from the clinic? Would you adopt him?"

That furry little head bounced across my mind, the paint-splattered coat and those multi-coloured eyes. I chuckled.

"Am I even allowed to drive when I'm hopped up on all these painkillers?"

"That probably wouldn't be the best idea," Derek reasoned. "But if you could?"

"I'd probably adopt him, but I don't even know if he's still there. I guess I could ask Scott. But it's not a big deal."

"Oh, okay," Derek nodded. "What are you going to do about Ophelia, then?"

"I really should ride her," I admitted.

"Do you think you're in shape to do that?"

"Sure I am," I huffed.

"You're not scared of her, are you?" Derek asked softly.

"No," I replied honestly. "I don't think what happened with the fence will happen again."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Before Ophelia was mine," I began, staring at the thin scars on the grey horse's hind. "She was abused. When we found her, she wouldn't let anyone touch her or even come near. I had to work for years to get her to be like she is now. If somehow she's reverted back, I won't be afraid to work with her to get her back again."

"Hm," Derek murmured.

"And what happened when I got stepped on, happened because I wasn't expecting Ophelia to act that way. If I'd expected it, I think it would have gone very differently."

"I never want to see you hurt like that again," was all Derek said in response. I raised my eyebrows.

"Did it really seem that bad?" I asked.

Derek blinked, shadows flickering in his eyes, and for a moment he said nothing. I didn't think he was going to, until he took a breath.

He pinned me with that gaze. "I thought you were going to die."

That word settled in my chest as the memory of that night reverberated in my mind.

"Well, it's a good thing I didn't."

"I'm serious," Derek murmured. "Just be careful."

"I will," I said. "But if you don't mind, you might be pretty helpful with training Ophelia. I want her to stop being afraid of you."

"And how are you going to get her to do that?"

"You'll see."

A/N: Thanks for reading everyone! I hope you have a swell day.

- TAAF_

Heartbeat // A Derek Hale Love Story (Teen Wolf)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara