Where Have You Been?

Lillian's POV

I scrambled into the Foundry at half past five; Derek and I agreed to five o'clock.

"Shit" I muttered, racing into the back without saying hello to Jean, who was perched on a stool near the front 'desk'.

There Derek stood, doing some kind of overhead exercise with yet another loaded barbel. However, this one had less weight than his front squat.

I didn't bother saying anything to him, but took a place near, waiting for him to finish.

Derek saw me and dropped his barbell on the floor of the concussive thud.

"How much have you got on--"

"Where have you been?" Derek snapped, cutting me off with my mouth still open.

"At work, then I overslept."

"You overslept." Derek scoffed in disbelief, setting about sliding the plates off his bar.

"Yes." I said firmly. "I had a late night."

Derek's head shot up. "What do you mean?"

"Some douche-bag left a box of puppies on the doorstep of the vet clinic I work at." I huffed, setting my bag on the floor near Derek's rig. "One of them is already dead. I've been working my ass off all night trying to keep them alive. I went home at three-thirty am, slept for four hours, went back to work and then passed out in my truck before I could drive over here. I'm lucky I didn't die."

Derek stood, concern softening his sharp features as he looked down at me.

"Look," I continued breathlessly. "I'm really sorry I'm late. I hope you'll be able to find it in your heart to forgive me."

"Okay." Derek grumbled. "It's not like I have anywhere to be anyway. Just don't make a habit of it."

"I won't." I promised, my usual smile creeping back across my face.

"Good."

Derek's POV

I recognised Lillian's breathing when she stumbled into the Foundry, half an hour later then she told me she would. I gritted my teeth as I held a barbell over my head, one hundred and seventy five pounds heavy.

She ran into the back room; I could feel her eyes on me.

"Shit." Lillian muttered to herself, but when she got to my side she said nothing.

Annoyed, I dropped the barbell on the floor probably harder than necessary, but Lillian did not flinch.

"How much have you got on--" The blonde tried to ask me a question, but I had a question for her.

"Where have you been?" I snapped, hoping she felt bad for making me wait a whole half hour.

"At work, then I overslept."

What the hell did she do for a living anyhow? I never got a chance to ask.

Whatever it was, if it was so exhausting she shouldn't have agreed to meet me.

"You overslept," I repeated dubiously, bending down to put my weights away.

"Yes." She snapped. "I had a late night."

It was then that I pricked my ears to listen to her heartbeat.

What I heard was not what I expected.

Her heart didn't speed up or skip any beats, but that wasn't what I found incredibly intriguing.

It was how slow her pulse was.

I had never heard such a slow heartbeat, nor one as loud and powerful. It rivalled that of a bass drum in my ears. I wondered for a moment if there was something wrong with her.

"What do you mean?" I questioned, careful not to be silent for too long; I already got enough flak for that.

"Some douche bag left a box of puppies on the doorstep of the vet clinic I work at." Lillian explained vehemently. "One of them is already dead. I've been working my ass of all night trying to keep them alive. I went home at three-thirty am, slept for four hours, went back to work and then passed out in my truck before I could drive over here. I'm lucky I didn't die."

I stood up as she continued explaining, frowning. I could tell she wasn't done speaking, so I let her finish.

"Look, I'm really sorry I'm late." Lillian sighed, meeting my eyes with an intense stare.

I was shocked that she cared so much.

"I hope you'll be able to find it in your heart to forgive me."

Her wording made the corner of my mouth twitch, but I didn't let her see.

"Okay." I huffed, amazed at the fact that in moments, I wasn't angry anymore. "It's not like I have anywhere to be anyway. Just don't make a habit of it."

"I won't." Lillian replied earnestly, starting to smile again.

"Good."

A/N: Thanks for reading everyone! Derek's back! Please let me know what you think about the chapter in the comments.

Leaving ideas, opinions and thoughts are actually very much appreciated.

Cheers,

- TAAF_