The Quest: Chapter 24

Start from the beginning

A slight sound of rustling in the bushes behind startled her.

"Legolas, please! A moment's privacy!" She scolded. Suddenly an orc leapt out of its hiding spot, a sword drawn and charging towards her. Alannah was taken completely off guard as she fumbled for the sword at her waist, screaming for Legolas to come to her aid. It was too late as the orc raised its sword high above its head and Alannah raised her arms in a last-ditch effort to protect herself. She squeezed her eyes tight, waiting to feel the sharp blade hit her but instead, she heard a loud plop in front of her. She looked up to see the orc lying dead in front of her, an arrow piercing its head. Legolas quickly jumped out of the thick of the woods and pulled her to her feet. Alannah pulled her pants up quickly, her cheeks burning with embarrassment.

"Next time, I'm coming with you." Legolas asserted before recovering his arrow. He stopped suddenly, the faint scent of blood grabbing his attention, and ran back to Alannah searching her body over.

"What are you doing?!" Alannah protested as he turned her around in front of him.

"You're injured. I'm trying to find where you're bleeding. Tell me where you're hurt." He commanded in a gentle but worried tone. Alannah knew full well she was unharmed when suddenly, it dawned on her.

"Legolas. Go back to the horse." Alannah whispered as she reached for her bag nearby. Legolas stayed, unmoving from his spot.

"No. I'm not leaving you alone out here. There may be more." Legolas pulled his bow to the front, scanning the area for additional threats. Alannah silently cursed him as she pulled a knitted cotton pad from a small pouch inside her bag.

"Legolas!" She hollered, her voice full of authority. Alannah held the pad behind her back as she stood in front of him. "I said go back to the horse." Legolas quickly pulled what she was hiding out behind her, worried she was hiding an injury from him. He held the knitted pad in his hand, flipping it over curiously several times. He looked at her, suddenly putting the pieces together in his head.

"Wait here meleth nin." Legolas urged as he quickly sprinted back to the horse. Alannah leaned against the tree, counting how many weeks it had been since her last cycle then scolding herself for forgetting. Within a minute, Legolas reappeared handing her a canteen of water and some clean cloth. He led her away from the orc corpse closer to the horse and stood on guard a few yards away, facing opposite of her.

Alannah quickly cleaned herself up and as soon as Legolas heard her securing the ties on her pants he walked back to retrieve her. He kissed her on the forehead softly before taking her hand and leading them both back to the waiting horse.

Alannah was grateful he didn't mention her unexpected womanly cycle as they continued their journey. They trotted in silence for several miles before Legolas suddenly broke out in a fit of laughter.

"What?" Alannah questioned, suddenly finding herself laughing along with him.

"I've seen you bare in our most intimate moments and yet, you're embarrassed by doing something we all do? In front of me of all people? It makes little sense." He laughed. "I find it adorable."

Alannah tickled his side, enjoying being able to make the elf squirm under her touch.

"Have you all but forgotten how upset you were when you thought I was a man? It wasn't too long ago. All the times you relieved yourself in front of me before you found out." She quipped. Legolas found himself blushing at the memory, all the times the men stood to the side in plain view as they relieved themselves, unknowing that there was a lady present.

"I wasn't upset." Legolas defended himself. "And you mean to tell me you never stole a glance of me as we went by the road side?" She could almost feel his smirk growing across his face.