The Quest: Chapter 23

Start from the beginning

~

Alannah continued to ignore Legolas for the next two days at the camp, never speaking to him or responding when he spoke to her. When she bathed in the river, he made sure to give her privacy as to not intrude any more than he needed to. They ate in silence and Alannah made sure to sleep far away from him on her own mat. At one point he thought he caught her looking at him from the corner of his eye but she quickly turned away. One day, during one of her many attempts to escape his presence with target practice, her overused bow suddenly snapped in half.

 One day, during one of her many attempts to escape his presence with target practice, her overused bow suddenly snapped in half

"Damn it!" She screamed. Alannah's anger finally erupted as she threw it away from her, along with her quiver. Legolas watched in shock as she kicked it across the forest floor with tears in her eyes. He listened as curses and swears poured out of her mouth, never hearing such language from a lady before. She stomped back to camp to turn in early for the night, decidedly giving up on the day. Legolas sighed as he picked up the broken fragments of her bow along with her quiver and arrows. He sat in the grass throughout the night repairing her bow, using the moonlight so he could see his work all while listening for any threats that may come near the camp. In the early morning light, he walked up to her as she lay asleep and set the repaired bow beside her. Exhausted from lack of rest since he left Gondor, Legolas lay a few feet away facing her and closed his eyes.

A couple hours later, he awoke to find the camp empty and the fire extinguished with water that had been carried up from the river.  He scrambled to his feet and quickly realized she had gone while he slept. Luckily, he was able to find her tracks and ran in their direction. After a couple miles of running, he finally caught up to her in the green fields at the bottom of the mountain.

"Alannah! Please stop!" Legolas pleaded desperately. She huffed as she turned around, disappointed that she couldn't put substantial distance between them before he awoke.

"What!?" She screamed as she turned to face him. Legolas stood several feet away from her, desperate to win her back.

"I can't. I can't live with you being angry at me." Legolas confessed. Alannah closed her eyes, unable to look at him. All she wanted to do was scream, cry, and anything else she could do to alleviate the pain in her heart. She took in several deep breaths before speaking, willing herself to remain calm.

"I was never angry at you." She whispered. Legolas watched as her shoulders slumped, her pain a heavy burden.

"Then what were you?" He asked as he took a cautious step forward, thinking of how she behaved around him the last few days. She wiped a few tears from her eyes before she responded.

"I was hurt." She answered as she opened her eyes to meet his. "My heart was shattered that night. You just left me there to wait for you, but you never came. I would have never done that to you. I truly believed you when you told me you loved me, that you were going to marry me. I was hurt to learn that it was all a lie."