*Chapter Thirty-Three*

~ KINLEY ~

"No. No. No!" I spin in circles, my hands fumbling over fallen leaves and twigs that litter the forest floor. Damp earth clings to the sheer fabric of my skirt as I try to get my bearings in the dark, the canopies of the trees blocking out the light of the moon. I can't see anything. "Roarra, what have you done!" The lack of sharp rock underneath me means I'm entirely outside Valderanna.

If I am outside Valderan territory, that means...Panic surges through me. I rush to my feet. My clothes! The angels will be able to see the demon insignia embroidered into my garments. I pause before I can finish loosening the ties to my wrap-around skirt. By taking my clothes off, the brukah whose symbol this locating spell belongs to won't be able to track me. If the brukah can't track me, Tristan won't be able to find me.

How could you, Roarra? How could you do this to me! I grab fistfuls of my hair to calm myself while I take deep breaths. I need a moment to think. What am I supposed to do? If I can't be tracked, I'm as good as lost. But if the angels can spot me because of the glow the dark magic covering me emits, I'm good as—a swooshing burst of wind nips at my exposed mid-section, my festival attire from my dance at the crimson ball not providing adequate coverage.

Slowly, I turn around. Black and white feathers come into view.

"I wouldn't come any closer if I were you. I have a locating spell tied to me. Any minute they will come for me." I back away from the exiled and celestial only to spin around and see more angels have appeared, a mix of both white-wings and black.

I stumble back, an angel stepping forward seemingly out of thin air. "Dagen." I swallow, trying to wet the instant dryness brought to my mouth upon seeing him. There is a leather glove covering the hand Tristan chopped off. You wouldn't know he was missing a hand based on the way the glove appears filled by a complete set of five fingers and a sizable palm.

"Roarra!" A feminine voice shouts as arms encircle me out of nowhere. I'm brought into a warm and tight embrace. "It's so good to hold you again, my sister."

"Azlan," Dagen snaps. "This isn't the time for a reunion."

This is Roarra's sister? The one Tristan said was going to give up her life for me but Roarra ended up taking her place?

"Do you think one measly demon symbol can stump the right hand of Zeura? A battle angel such as Roarra can easily disrupt the link, for darkness always gives way to the light." The golden shimmer to Dagen's skin fades out, giving him the same non-glimmering appearance as humans and vampires possess.

The absence of the glow makes me have to squint to try and see him and the other celestials and exiled I know are still here. It would have been easier if they had kept the glow to their skin. Vamp vision would be helpful right now. Too bad all I have are human eyes.

"I thought angels didn't see well in the dark." I turn around, trying to guess where Dagen is. I pivot back when something brushes against the back of my arm.

"We see well enough. Where's Roarra's pendant?" Dagen's voice comes to the right of me.

"The Dark Prince has it," I answer, leaves rustling on my opposite side. "If you don't return me, the Prince of Darkness will make you pay."

I shrink back when a thin metal chain is slipped over my head.

"Here, you can have mine. It won't allow you to access your full powers, but it will give you access to the Heavens."

I slide my fingers to the pendant on the necklace placed over me. The white opal glows revealing Azlan's sister is the one who gave it to me.

"This time, I promise I won't mess things up. Soon, you'll be able to come home and all of this will be over." She hugs me, and I can feel Roarra's light inside me hugging her sister back. "It's good to be back in your embrace." Azlan pulls away, staring past me into the part of me where Roarra resides.