Nine

As soon as I nod in confirmation, Gavin closes the gap between us and scoops me up in a firm hug that I return. I squeeze my eyes shut and hold onto him tightly, feeling his tears drop onto my shoulder. Gavin. It's Gavin. After eight years, I finally get to see my brother again. This is all so sudden and unexpected, also so random that Gavin would be friends with Zayn and Harry. However he got here, I'm just grateful to have him back. A smile creeps its way onto my face and I pull away from our embrace to see Gavin's matching grin.

Harry and Zayn stare at us with raised eyebrows, completely unaware of the emotional situation.

"Alex is my baby sister," Gavin informs them, securing an arm around my shoulders and planting a kiss on the top of my head, causing my grin to widen. Zayn looks surprised, but still manages a smile and a quick nod. Harry on the other hand looks as if he's just seen a ghost. His mouth hangs wide open and his eyes dart back and forth from me to Gavin, putting the pieces together.

Zayn has to practically drag Harry away to give Gavin and me some time alone.

"So, how's Mike?" Gavin asks once they're gone, an excited glint in his eye.

"Just as crazy as ever. His hair is pink now," I answer, truly smiling. Gavin chuckles, squeezing my shoulder.

"And Dad?" he questions. I remember Gavin being especially close to my father, and how he was devastated when he found out Gavin had left us. I think that is one thing he will always hold my mother responsible for, as he should.

"He's good. Busy, but good."

Gavin nods, his eyes slightly sad.

"Mom is mom... she's still a bitch, in case you were wondering," I say, causing his mouth to turn up at the corners. "She wouldn't help Michael with his tuition unless he stayed in LA, even though he made it into Princeton."

At this, the smile drops from Gavin's face, and his eyes darken like they always would at the mention of my mother.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," he mutters, shaking his head in disapproval.

"And she's forbidden me from seeing him until I graduate," I add. "Everything just got worse after you left."

My lip trembles slightly and Gavin pulls me into his arms, stroking my hair softly.

"I'm sorry, I just had to get out. I would've taken you guys with me if I could've," he speaks softly into my ear and I nod against his chest. I don't care how long he was gone, he is here now and I have missed him so much.

"Where did you go?" I wonder aloud, pulling away to look my brother in the eye.

"Well, I went to Anaheim first, to keep an eye on you and Mike for a while without being noticed. Once I saw you were okay, I flew to London and that's where I met Zayn. He was staying with Paul, along with Harry's sister. They were very welcoming once I told them my situation and I ended up staying with them as well."

I can see the pain flash through Gavin's eyes at the mention of Paul, and I instantly sympathize with him.

"Paul always said he'd move to California someday once we were all gone. He never had the chance, so we thought it would be only right to bury him here," Gavin explains, tears pooling in his blue eyes. He looks so much like my father, especially now that he's older. I can't help but think how different my life would have been if he had stayed. But I'm glad he left. If I could, I would, and I'm happy for him that he got the chance.

"Harry is in the same fraternity as Mike," I state. Gavin is about to reply when his eyes settle on something over my shoulder. I turn to see Will's gravestone staring me in the face. Although Will and I only started dating a few years ago, our families have always been very close, and Gavin was especially close with Will, being very close in age. When I turn back around, I see Gavin sunk to his knees in front of me, shock and hurt written all over his face.