Two

(Alexandra Tucker, May 8th)

"Alex!" Michael's excited voice floods through the speaker on my phone.

"Hey, Mikey," I say, using the old nickname I gave him when I was 13. I did it to annoy him back then, but it just kind of stuck with us.

"So, you should come over tonight. To the frat house. We're throwing a party and you could really use one."

I should have guessed they were throwing a party, it's what they always do. I'm sure he thinks I could use a party. In his book, everybody needs a party. Maybe he's right, but either way, a party does not sound appealing to me at the moment. I'm ready to decline his offer when Michael speaks again.

"Alex, pleaseeee?" he whines, knowing I was about to turn him down. "We all miss you. The real you. Just please come and if you want to go home, you can. You can even bring Regan!"

His words remind me of all the people I've shut out in the past month, mostly the other frat boys. Luke who is a bit shy but a really hilarious drunk, Ashton who is loud, funny and a real charmer, Calum who will stop at nothing to make us all laugh, and Tyler who sits back and laughs at everything, even if it's not the least bit funny. Mike has been friends with them all through high school and I have probably spent more time around them than my own friends in the past few years. I really do miss them...

What's the harm in going? I haven't done hardly anything all month and I'm starting to get restless being cooped up in the house all day. Regan, Liam, and I can all go after work. Who knows, maybe it will be fun. And if not I can just leave.

"Alright, I'll go," I say, earning whoops and cheers from the other end where I am undoubtedly on speaker phone in a room full of boys.

"I'm bringing Liam and Regan with me," I inform them, pinching the phone between my shoulder and my ear as I dig through my closet for my work outfit.

"The more the merrier!" Ashton's voice rings out, followed by the laughter and agreement of his friends.

"We miss you, A!" One of them calls, Luke, I think. They all call me A since that's the first letter of my name and apparently they're too lazy to pronounce the extra syllable.

"I miss you guys too," I say, finally finding my jean shorts and red tank top that all the waitresses are required to wear in the summer.

"You're off speaker," Michael says. "Also, a new guy is joining the frat today and he should be here any time now. Maybe we can set you two up!"

His voice sounds excited, but my body goes numb, making my phone slip from my hands and clatter to the floor. I can't even think about starting another relationship right now. I'm still getting used to the way things are without Will, I can't adjust to another change so quickly. Michael knows that.

I quickly stoop to pick up my fallen phone just in time to hear my brother's reply.

"Sorry, too soon," Mike apologizes, as if reading my thoughts.

"Well, looks like the new guy is here," he says and I hear the creak of a door and the faint shouts of his friends coming from his end of the line. "Gotta go, love you! See you tonight!"

"Love you too, Mike. Bye," I say before pressing end.

-

"Liam!" I call, walking away from the table I just served. Liam peers around the edge of a wall, his chocolatey brown eyes meeting mine.

"What?" he questions, walking around the wall and sitting down on a stool behind the counter. I follow him, lifting up a section of the counter so I can walk through and take a seat next to him.