Chapter Eighteen: Awkward

I would just like to point out the great science pun that was used in this chapter, I'm quite proud of it even if it was used for bullying purposes.
-

The rest of the day had gone even worse than the beginning of it had. Dan and Phil kept getting stopped in the corridors and every so often a group of people would look over at them and start to whisper.

It seemed as though the word had travelled around pretty fast, and it wouldn't even be surprising if some of the teachers knew by now.

Thankfully there was only one lesson left until the end of the day. And it was science, which surely couldn't be too bad...

As Dan and Phil walked into the room everyone's eyes moved to them immediately. It wasn't like they were holding hands or anything, was it really possible that everyone in their class knew already?

'Ayyy look who it is' a voice from god knows where called out. Shuffling awkwardly, Dan and Phil manoeuvred between desks to sit together at the back of the classroom.

They didn't seem to notice that even the eyes of their teacher, Mr Jensen, were fixed on the two of them. After the boys had sat down and got there stuff out however, Mr Jensen snapped back into action.

'Alrighty then class, today we're going to be learning about alleles'
It took a moment for Mr Jensen to notice that the majority of the class weren't paying attention.

'Class' he announced once more, clearing his throat. Still almost everyone seemed distracted. He decided to continue anyway, after a long sigh.

'Okay so alleles are different versions of the same gene. Oh and you might want to be writing this down. Anyway, an allele can be...'

Like most of the class, Dan really wasn't paying much attention to his teacher. His brain was working faster than it ever had before. Worrying. He could feel other people's eyes on him and Phil. He knew they were judging the two of them.

Hopefully they could just get through this lesson without any major problems, and then go home. That was the thought that Dan kept going over in his head.

However, precisely when Dan had finished having that thought, every single person in the class turned to face him and Phil.

'Individuals can be heterozygous, or homozygous' Mr Jensen had just said.
'Hahaha, homo' a classmate had shouted, causing the rest of the class to burst out laughing.

It seemed to go on forever. And it felt like the laughter would never end. Mr Jensen was trying desperately to control the class but it wasn't really working.

'Class!' He yelled 'Everyone! Will somebody please tell me what's going on?!'
'Phil and Dan are gay sir' a boy at the front said.

Mr Jensen looked at the boy strangely for a moment.
'And that's funny?' He asked. The boy at the front went quiet at that.
'Oh come on sir we're only teasing them' the girl sat behind him stated.

'Do other people's choices really concern you?'
'Well no sir'
'Well then, why don't we all just let people be who they want to be, yes? Is there anyone who feels like objecting to that and staying behind after school?'
'No sir' the class echoed.

'Oh and Phil, Dan, may I have a quick word with you after this lesson?'
Crap. Now Dan wasn't sure if he wanted this lesson to end sooner or never end at all.

-

'Are you two okay?'
It was half past three. The rest of the class had gone now, leaving just Dan and Phil and Mr Jensen.
'I guess so' Phil said shyly.

'If you don't mind me asking... Are you two really dating?'
'Uhhh, well...' Dan's eyes darted around the room. he was afraid to tell the truth. He wasn't sure why, since his teacher had stopped the class from bullying them, but he supposed he just didn't trust anyone anymore.

'Yeah, we are' Phil answered unsurely. To Dan and Phil's surprise, Mr Jensen smiled at that.

'Well you know, I've got a boyfriend too' he said 'I know what it's like to get those kind of things said about you'
'Really?' Dan said breathlessly.

'Yeah, I'd get bullied almost every day for being gay back when I was at school, I just wish there was more I could do to help you guys. But honestly don't listen to anything people say, I think you too are adorable together' he beamed at them.

The pair started blushing. This wasn't how they'd been expecting the conversation to go. They began to slowly try and walk out of the classroom, when their teacher spoke again.

'Oh just one more thing' he said suddenly 'you are wearing protection right, when you...'
Both Dan and Phil's eyes went so wide that they almost popped out of there sockets.

Mr Jensen started laughing.
'Don't look so alarmed. I'm a science teacher, I gotta teach kids all about this kinda stuff. Although they don't let us teach enough about homosexuality in sex ed, in my opinion... sorry I can tell you two don't want to be here, you can leave now but promise me you'll wear a c...'

'Yes sir, we got it we promise, see you later' Phil replied hurriedly before grabbing Dan's hand and leading them both out the door.

'Oh my god that was embarrassing'
'Tell me about it. I'd never thought that Mr Jensen might be gay though'
'Really? Not be be stereotypical here but you can kind of tell'
'Oh yeah?'
'Yeah, just... I don't know the way he presents himself'

'You pay a lot of attention to the way he presents himself huh? Dan teased.
'Oh shut up'