Chapter Eleven: Flower

Phil waited. He waited and he contemplated.

He was sat in the building he knew to be Dan's hideout. The place where they'd first got to know each other.

It sure had been a lot more of an effort to get there on foot and all by himself.

The whole place was also a lot creepier when he was alone. Every second he kept hoping Dan would fly in through the window and keep him company so he wasn't alone anymore.

Tugging thoughtfully on the red flannel he'd decided to wear, he thought (again for the thousandth time) about what he was going to say.

Well, he knew one thing for sure. After the alarming realisation Pj had caused him to have, it wasn't just his power that Phil was going to have to come clean about. Phil really did feel terrible keeping secrets.

He still felt completely and utterly sick. And sure he knew why now at least but the walk here had given him even more time to think about things, and rather than seeing Dan again feeling just a little daunting it felt absolutely terrifying now.

Terrifying because he didn't know how Dan would react. He could get mad at Phil for not telling him sooner. He could not love Phil back and think it was creepy that he liked him. He could not want to be friends with him anymore.

It was all too much to be thinking about.

Luckily Phil didn't actually have to think about it any longer. A slight swooping noise and a gust of wind alerted him that he was no longer alone where he was standing.

Turning around to look at the sight of Dan, who had just flown in behind him, Phil couldn't help but be in awe a little, he had been the first time he'd seen Dan's wings. But now, it being his first time seeing the boy since realising that he loved him, he really couldn't help it.

'Dan!' Phil grinned, running over to hug him.
'You seem happy to see me' Dan replied absolutely beaming, not that Phil could see whilst buried in his shoulder.

Dan's wings elegantly retracted themselves once the two of them had pulled away. Both turned their gazes to each other then, awkwardly staring at one another for a moment.

'Oh' Dan remarked, suddenly becoming distracted and reaching into his pocket 'I brought cookies!' He exclaimed 'You want one?'

'Yes, fuck, this is why we're friends'
'Glad to know you value my food more than you do me'
Phil grinned cheekily at him before stuffing his face with a cookie.

-

It was strange really. There was no tension between them. Phil hadn't told Dan that there was something he wanted to tell him, so to Dan this must have seemed totally normal.

'Hey you know what we should do?'
'What?'
'Go up on the roof and have a picnic!' Dan exclaimed rolling up his sleeves with intent 'you know, like right to the top'

'A picnic with cookies as the only food?'
'The best kind if you ask me'
'Have you ever been to the top before?' Phil asked uneasily.
'Well uhh... no. But it sounds cool doesn't it?'
'Not sure why you're so pumped with adrenaline suddenly but sure' Phil chuckled.

It couldn't hurt to go up there and for Phil to do his confessing on the roof, the fresh air might help.

Getting up there was another story however.

Phil had assumed they'd just take the stairs, but being an old building that they were in the stairs had begun to disintegrate a tad.

Thus Phil found himself clumsily parkouring up a 400 foot tall building.

Dan of course, with his wings, seemed to effortlessly glide up after him with no trouble at all.

It was so sketchy and dangerous and Phil definitely thought he was going to die at multiple moments.

It was terribly windy once they got to the top. Dan looked around and admired the view, Phil heaving from exhaustion by his side.

'We're so high up' Dan gasped.
'It's. Very... pretty' Phil responded between gasps for breath.

This really wasn't good, Phil was supposed to be keeping his breathing down.

'So err... the weathers nice'
'Mm'
'No clouds anywhere'
'Nope'

Phil's stalling was painfully ineffective.

He let out a sigh and accepted defeat. He had to tell him, and it had to be now. Sitting down cross legged, he turned and admired the way Dan still seemed to be peacefully enjoying the view.

'Dan' Phil said suddenly.
Dan's head turned.
'I err... come sit beside me'
'Why, whats up?'
'Well there's something I wanted to...'
'You aren't scared of heights are you Phil?' Dan asked, coming to sit next to the black haired boy.

'What' Phil stuttered 'no'
He was.
'Look there's a reason I wanted us to come here and not round your house'
'There is?'
Dan looked him straight in the eyes at this. Why did he have to make things so much harder?

'Yes I... look. I haven't been being completely honest with you. There's two things I need to confess to you and well...' Phil's throat was burning 'I thought I'd do them both at once.

'You um... want a cookie before you tell me to help you calm down?'
Phil laughed again at this.
'Yes, thank you'

He shoved the cookie into his mouth, savouring it until the moment he swallowed and faced his impending doom once more.

Inhaling deeply, Phil closed his eyes. He'd rather not have them open to see this happen and plus he needed to concentrate. Cupping his hands together, an object began to take shape in them.

'You aren't the only one out there Dan' Phil began 'with seemingly inhuman abilities' he was still concentrating hard. 'And this, this is for you because...'

The object he was summoning tingled and felt ever so strange as it formed but he was used to the feeling. Finally when he heard Dan let out a gasp, his curiosity got the better of him and he just had to see the boy's reaction.

There on display, resting in Phil's palms, was a single red rose. Phil looked deep into Dan's chocolate brown eyes and presented him with the flower.

'I think I'm in love with you Dan Howell'

Phil could see the way Dan's expression changed, the way his pupils dilated and he looked almost as though he could cry.

He didn't get a chance to analyse the expression however, as Dan soon leaned in so close that he could no longer see it.

And it was just like that that Phil's entire thought track completely left his mind. With a touch, a brush, then a collision of lips. And then fire.

Dans lips were so warm against Phil's own, they were soft and inviting and he never wanted to leave. Phil hadn't even thought about kissing Dan in the brief amount of time he'd known that he loved him. But this was so much better than anything he could have ever imagined.

Dan had thought about it though. Many times, day in and day out. He'd thought about every position, every place that they could have kissed at. And yet nothing compared.

He was holding Phil's rose, in the hand that he had hastily draped around the other man. Phil's own hand rested gently on Dan's chin. And as quickly as the kiss had begun, it ended.

Phil parted their lips once more and the two pulled away, both panting and bursting with adrenaline.

Somewhere along the line Dan's hair had become messy but he couldn't find it in him to care. Right now he was just trying to find the right words to respond to everything.

'I think' he began 'I think I love you too Phil Lester'

Phil smiled. The biggest smile he think he'd ever smiled, that only became bigger when he saw Dan mirrored it.

'Another cookie?' He asked.
'God yes'