Chapter Nine: Truth

To: Dan
Today 14:35pm

'Help, history is boring me to death'

Phil sighed. He missed Dan. Sure they'd been together in maths this morning, but that was three whole lessons ago!

And they couldn't even see each other at lunch break since Phil had landed himself in detention for not doing homework.

He wasn't really sure what they were supposed to be learning about either, having become distracted and wound up by thoughts of Dan. It was the exact same thing that had kept happening to him during the weekend, it was just like he couldn't get Dan out of his head.

And it wasn't like he could speak to anyone about it, the only person he was close to currently being Dan himself.

He supposed he could talk to Pj about it if he really wanted, but to be quite frank Phil was a little embarrassed and was very much hoping the whole thing would go away. Talking to someone about the issue would only make it more real.

Feeling the buzz of his phone vibrating, Phil carefully slipped it out of his pocket and hid it from the teacher under his desk.

From: Dan
Today 14:40
'That's a little dramatic don't you think? Although I have to say geography is pretty monotonous'

Phil found himself holding back a fond giggle. He certainly did find Dan's use of big words as a way to sound intelligent rather amusing. Quickly typing out a reply, Phil admittedly got a little carried away.

He was just typing out a final kiss at the end of his message when...
'Philip!' A voice, surprisingly near yelled directly at him 'is that a phone?'

Phil's jolted his head upwards and was greeted by the stern stare of his history teacher Mr Fuller.
'I err, I'm sorry I'll put it away'
'Ah ah ah, no, give it here please I want to see what you were doing'

Shit. Phil thought to himself. That's a little intrusive isn't it? Phil froze completely, only moving to reluctantly allow Mr Fuller to reach and take his phone from him. 

Phil then watched anxiously as the man scrolled through Phil's text messages in a painstakingly slow manner. Luckily he didn't feel he need to inquire about Phil's message about how much of a bore this lesson was, he simply grunted and walked away.

'You can have this back at the end of the lesson' he taunted, waggling the phone in the air before putting it in one of his draws.

-

'So he really took your phone away?' Dan chuckled, walked by Phil's side down the pavement.

Phil nodded.
'I think it got scratched in his draw too' he sulked.
'Oh boo hoo, what a shame' Dan drawled.
'Hey! It's an expensive phone okay?'
'Nerd' Dan muttered.
'Can't you think of anything better to call me?'
Dan chuckled 'nope, nerd suits you just fine'

The two of them were almost at Dan's house, having been walking for about twenty minutes or so. The rest of Phil's history lesson had gone so slow without a phone to distract him, but somehow he'd gotten through it.

'I wonder what else he keeps in there anyway' Dan said thoughtfully 'his draw, I mean'
'Lube probably, and photos of the kids he teaches' Phil snickered.

'Phil!'
'What? He's a creepy guy, and I mean he looked through our messages too, talk about nosy'
Dan shook his head.

'So do you wanna come to mine?' he asked 'Only since I know you've got much further to walk than I do, not because I like you or anything'
'Yeah right, I know you love me'

Dan's heart leapt at that sentence. It was only a few words, but it sent him into a sudden spiral. He knew Phil was only talking about platonic love, it wasn't like Dan's crush was that obvious right?

Dan had gotten so distracted that he'd completely missed the rest of Phil's answer. Phil looked at him expectantly.
'Er, sorry what?'
'I said yes, I'll come in for a bit'
'Oh... Oh! Okay'

-

'Hey, wanna play a game?' Phil asked. The two of them were sat on Phil's bed, knees touching and grins adorning both of their faces.
'Okay, what did you have in mind?' Dan giggled at the random suggestion.

'How about two truths, one lie? That way we can get to know each other better and our bond can become even stronger!'

Dan couldn't help but giggle once more. Most people at their age went out, getting high or drunk and having one night stands, and yet here Phil was suggesting that the two of them play a kids game.

'Okay, you're starting though'
'Fine'
Phil sat and thought for a second, before saying.
'Okay so, which one of these is a lie:
I've never dated anyone, my eyes are three colours at once, or I have a pet cat'

To Phil's surprise Dan shuffled closer to him and stared him right in the eyes. Holy shit, Dan's eyes were intoxicating, Phil almost felt himself forget everything except for the deep chocolate brown he was gazing into.

'Well' Dan said suddenly, sitting back once more 'the second one is true, your eyes are blue, green and yellow'

Oh, that was why Dan had looked at his eyes.

'Correct' Phil stated, slightly dazedly.
'So, it's out of you having never dated or you having a cat' Dan thoughtfully said to himself.

Pondering on which one to choose, Dan thought hard. Surely. Surely Phil has dated before. Someone as beautiful as him couldn't possibly have been single all his life.

'Cat' Dan suddenly found himself saying, before adding 'you have a cat' after realising that cat was a bit of a weird thing to say on its own.

'Nope! I'm allergic to cats' Phil exclaimed.
'So you've never dated?' Dan said, trying not to sound shocked. Phil shook his head, not pressing on the matter, however as he quickly prompted Dan to take his turn.

'Errr okay'
Shit, shit, Dan couldn't think of anything.
'Right so, which ones the lie:
I have a scar on my elbow from when I fell over on an escalator, I broke my leg once, or, I'm... gay?'

Wait shit. Had he just? Oh no, no no no. He was such an idiot, this was just supposed to be a fun game, now wasn't the time to out himself. He supposed he'd just been put on the spot and hadn't known what to say, but really? Of all the things.

What if Phil didn't accept him? What if this ruined their friendship? What if...

'Dan?' Phil looked at him 'are you okay? You looked panicked, should we...'
'No no no, continue continue'

'Okay, well I think the lie is the second one, you've never broken your leg. And the other two are true'
Dan nodded but his neck felt as if it had gone stiff.
'Correct' he said in reply but his voice felt as if it was going.

Phil looked at him curiously and the two of them said nothing for what felt like longer than a short moment.

'It's okay you know, that you're gay'
Dan felt his entire body shatter from embarrassment. He knew his face was bright red but he really didn't care right now.

'If it makes it any better' Phil unexpectedly continued 'I'm bi, so I understand'
Dan looked up at that. He stared at Phil in the strangest way that even he found himself questioning.
'Y y you are?' He stuttered.

Phil laughed. 'Yeah, I mean I think so but as you now know I've never dated anyone. I'm proud of you, you know, for telling me' Phil looked at the blush on the other boy's cheeks 'and you can stop being embarrassed now that you know we're in the same situation'

'I know, I know I'm sorry, I err, I'm proud of you too, for telling me as well' Dan said bashfully, pulling himself together.

'Jeez, some game this is huh?'
'Yeah, I have to say I wasn't expecting us both to exchange our biggest secrets while playing, it's fun though'

'The most fun I've ever had' Dan chuckled, deciding to wrap his arms around Phil.

He needed a hug after that, though admittedly it was partially just to hide his blush. He wasn't quite sure what had overcome him. Although, he supposed it wasn't everyday you found out that your crush likes boys too.