Chapter Ten: Realisation

Apologies if this chapter isn't so good, I feel super ill right now while I'm writing it, like my head is actually spinning. But hey, enjoy none the less.
-

Phil couldn't believe he'd been friends with Dan for a whole month. That he'd been walking to school with him everyday for a whole month. And that they'd been going to each other's houses for a whole month.

And all of those things had become so normal to the both of them. It was just routine now. And within that month they'd learned even more about each other and perhaps become even more inseparable.

Dan had even told Phil about his family situation eventually. After Phil had met Mrs Evans.
'I like your mum' he'd said, after shaking her hand and introducing himself, then slipping off to Dan's room the way they always did.

'Oh thanks, she err... isn't my biological mum though'

'So you're adopted?'
'Well yeah sort of' Dan had said reluctantly before feeling the need to elaborate. 'I've actually moved families quite a lot, this is my fifth one now'

At that Phil had stopped, turning to look at Dan sympathetically, and also to grasp what to say next.

'How come?' He'd questioned, before quickly adding 'if you want to tell me that is'

Dan had shrugged.
'I don't know. People just don't seem to like me very much, I'm too abnormal'
'But you're no...'
'Not all families want a kid who's got wings, it isn't exactly a subtle birth defect. And the whole gay thing on top of that... well I'm just'

'But people shouldn't judge you because of either of those things Dan'
'I know' Dan had said hopelessly.

'And anyway' Phil had tried to finish he conversation, sensing that Dan didn't want to talk about it anymore. 'Mrs Evans seems very nice, like I said, so I'm sure she won't kick you out due to some prejudiced opinion she has'

Phil had then leaned closer to Dan and began whispering in his ear, causing tingles to shoot down Dan's spine.
'And if she does, you can come live with me'

Dan's head had filled with images of him and Phil living together and how amazing that sounded.

'Thanks Phil' Dan had said, smiling and resting his head on the other man's shoulder.

-

And thus Phil had begun to feel extremely bad for still hiding things from Dan. Well, one major thing to be specific, he wasn't aware of any others.

So he'd been prompted to arrange that him and Dan meet at Dan's hideout so that Phil could show Dan his power.

Which was all very well and good since quite frankly Phil should've told him a while ago. However something was happening to Phil that he couldn't help feeling was a little odd.

He was nervous about meeting Dan.

He'd thought that feeling had gone away since the first time they'd arranged to walk to school together but apparently not. It had come back and with a vengeance.

Phil now found himself rushing around frantically, still with a whole hour yet until he had to leave, and trying to pick an outfit.

Strangely the anxiety didn't seem to be about the idea of telling Dan his secret, but about the very prospect of meeting up with Dan himself. Which was utterly crazy, Phil decided in his head, since he'd met up with Dan almost everyday for a month.

Still frantically rummaging around, Phil stopped suddenly, reaching for his phone on his bed and impulsively deciding to call his one friend other than Dan.