She hands it to me gently, like I'm going to drop the damn thing. Yeah right, my iPod is my baby! And I'll count my blessings everyday, thanking the heavens that I'm not deaf; I couldn't live without music. It's just not possible.

I trail my hands along the earphone cord until I get to the end and place both into my ears. I click up the volume a few notches, letting music pour through my head, emptying my mind and erasing my senses.

A few songs pass and I'm gently tapped on the shoulder. I turn down the volume and pull my earphones out. My dad's voice comes from my right, where the car door should be. "Finn, we're home." 

I nod and he helps me down. I hear him yawing and I can picture his face scrunching as he does so. It is pretty late; I wonder what time it is. "Dad, what time is it?"

My mom leads me by my arm to the front door as my dad replies. "A little after one."

I nod again, yawing just as my dad did; I swear, yawning's contagious. I hear the jingle of keys as my mom unlocks the door. "Welcome home sweetheart." 

"Thanks mom," I smile and blink rapidly as a sudden light turns on. Another jingle chimes down the hallway and I recognize it as Jake's tags on his collar. "Hey Jakers!" I use my baby voice to call him to me.

The pitter-patter of his toe nails on the smooth, wood floors tells me he's approaching me at great speeds. I get on my hands and knees and allow my dog to lick, sniff, and crawl all over me. He barks and his hot, smelly breath hits his face, causing me to scrunch up my nose and push him away slightly. "Oh gross, Jake. Get off." 

"Jake! Outside." My dad leads him to the kitchen and out the back door to the yard. I missed my puppy. Maybe I can train him to be my seeing-eye dog! Jake's definitely got the spunk to do it. He's a golden retriever-husky mix with pretty golden eyes and a thick, mostly silver coat with a few patches of gold and gray.

Mom helps me up, asking me if I'm okay and whatnot. See? Overprotective much? She straights out my clothes as I roll my eyes. "Are you hungry? Want me to make you something to eat? Here, I'll go whip up a sandwich and-"

"Mom, I'm fine. Not hungry at all. But I am tired so I'm just going to go to bed, alright?" 

She rubs my back soothingly. "Sure, baby. Here, I'll help you up the st-"

"Mom! I can do it myself!" I snap at her. She backs away with what I'm guessing is a hurt expression. I didn't mean to make her feel bad! I just don't want to become her burden or anything like that; I can take care of myself. "G'night."

"Goodnight, Finn."

I feel along the walls for the railing of the stairs. When I find it, I hold on with my good hand and gingerly step up each step at a time until I'm at the top. I trail my hand along the wall, counting each doorway as I pass. When I get to the third door on my left, I enter and feel my way to my bed. Pulling back the covers, I undress before crawling in.

My eyes close and let out a long sigh. Tomorow's going to be a long day.

~*~*~

When I wake up, everything is cloaked in darkness. My first impression is that I've merely slept an hour or two and it's still dark outside. But the slight pinch of pain from my right hand reminds me that I couldn't be able to tell because I'm blind and I have a handicapped hand full of fucked nerves. I look around to see if I can see a shift in light, but it's either still dark out or the curtains are closed.

I groan and roll my sore neck. It's still a little stiff from the accident. In fact, my whole body's still very stiff. Ugh, I feel like I've been thrown down the stairs and kicked in the eyes. Not very pleasant.