Blindsided ch5

Finn's POV

**Saturday**

I've never realised how useful someone's sense of hearing can be.

For instance, I can tell it's raining outside just by the sounds of the wind and rain hitting the house, creating a white noise in my ears. I know it's five o'clock by the chimes of the old grandfather clock in the living room. I can hear the sound of Jake's chain leash clanking around outside, telling me I'm going to have a very wet dog in the house soon. I can tell that Mom's washing dishes from the recent early-dinner I had by the muffled radio playing in the kitchen below me, which she likes to listen to when cleaning.

I can even tell that my dad has just returned home from work by the crunching of the gravel made by his car's tires.

Standing up swiftly, I exit my bedroom and walk down the stairs one by one, counting as I descend so I that  know when I'm on the main floor. Fourteen stairs later, I hit the bottom and turn left.

All day today, because I'm grounded and have nothing better to do, I've been exploring my house with fresh eyes -- well, no eyes I suppose -- making a mental map of my home. I've been counting steps, establishing points of significance (for example, the squeaky floorboard two steps before the turn into the living room), and tucking said points of significance in the corner of my mind in case I ever loose my barrings.

The creaking noise under my feet sounds and I take a couple more steps, turn, and walk into the kitchen confidentially. The Current is playing a song by Mumford and Sons on the radio and I can hear my dad set his work stuff on the kitchen table.

"Hey Finn, how was your Saturday?" Dad asks. He works everyday except Sundays, meaning his "weekend" starts now. But he's fine with his long work hours. He says he loves his job and that most of the time, it doesn't even feel like work; it's more like a day long private concert when he's doing recording sessions.

"Boring," I deadpan. How would you like to be cooped up all day with nothing but yourself to play with -- which I did not do because Mother dearest was home all day and I'm sure as hell not risking her catching me wank off.

His large hand pats me on the shoulder twice. "How about you have some friends over before we leave?"

Mom and Dad always have their 'date nights' on Saturdays. They think it'll keep their love stong; but I honestly think Mom bullied Dad into doing it. 

Speaking of my mother, she smacks my dad's jacket loudly. "Marcus! He's grounded, remember?" 

"But you said he could have friends over, only for a little while. Plus," his tone lowers until he thinks I can't hear him, "He's supposed to have a stress-free environment; I think having a visitor'll do him good."

Mom sighs and replies louder, "Alright Finn, you can invite one friend over -- but just one! And they have to leave before six."

I smile and pull out my phone, handing it to my mom. "Thanks Mom. Can you find Cora in the contacts and press call?"

Once she does, I put it to my hear and hear the ringing drone on, long and low. Cora's my cousin. She's also one of my best friends. She's a bit older that me at twenty-three, but she's the closest to me of all my cousins, but unlike my other cousins who live just down the court, Cora lives in the city by her college.

I frown when the ringing finally stops and goes to voice mail. She must be out or something. I could call Callum or Niall, my twin cousins, but they hardly go anywhere without each other and my mom said I could only have one friend over -- even if they are my cousins. And eleven year old Anne is a little young to relate to any of my problems, meaning we aren't that close.