Chapter 7: Sizzling Skin

Start from the beginning

I would always make a bet with Aaron or Billy because they would give me some of the profit. Some of the other guys would win, but I preferred Aaron or Billy. But of course, I played fair.

I set my bag down on the counter and the guys huddled around me. I found it funny. They all looked at my homework but none could figure it out. Despite them having stern faces, they were all nice. They all had some kind of family. Whether that meant humans or some other kind of animal.

"Am I going to be making any money?" Billy asked and rubbed my hair. When is he going to start treating me like an adult?

You're fifteen.

"No," I signed. He knew what that meant.

"No? Why no? I don't know if you know this, kid, but I've got a knack for this kind of thing," Billy said and pulled up a chair next to me. Kid? He's only four years older than me.

I heard glass breaking upstairs before Razor rushed up there. I heard him yelling for someone to call an ambulance. He ran downstairs with Sophia in his arms. She was foaming at the mouth, and Razor was yelling at everyone to call an ambulance.

"You can't!" Billy shouted over a yelling Razor. "It was your stash, man! You'll go down twice as hard. She wouldn't want you to do that!"

"You don't know shit!" Razor yelled. He checked Sophia's pulse and froze. "I-I don't feel anything... I don't feel anything!" He started chest compressions, and he wouldn't stop.

"No one's calling the ambulance," Billy stated, but Razor wasn't listening because he was doing chest compressions. "Razor, stop!"

"Call an ambulance or I'ma kill someone!" Razor yelled. He kept doing chest compression, and a crack was heard, making Razor stop his actions. He broke her sternum. Razor got up slowly and kept looking at Sophia in shock. "You killed her!"

"No, I didn't," Billy said. Razor came after him and tackled him on the pool table. "I didn't do it! You have to believe me, brother! Please!"

"Then who gave it to her?!" Razor asked and stopped trying to fight Billy. He got off him and started looking around. "Everyone knew to keep it away from her. She was trying to get sober!"

A couple of hours before the drop, Sophia needed help moving some boxes that came today, but she told me to take one of them to her room. When I was picking the box up I tipped over the lid and saw crystals. I just thought she was collecting crystals.

Razor was looking around but all of the guys were shaking their heads; they didn't know anything. Razor looked at me, and I couldn't look at him.

"Do you know anything?" Billy asked. My hesitation gave them an answer. "Kara! Do you know anything?!"

I nodded.

Razor grabbed the back of my neck and shoved me to the bar. I cringed my face when my ribs hit the bar, making my skin feel pinched.

He held my head to the keyboard so I could type. I started typing when he let go, but I didn't show them until after I was finished typing.

I was helping Sophia with some crates and she wanted one in the room. The lid opened and I saw crystals but I just thought she was collecting crystals. Like rocks. I'm so sorry, Razor!!!! You have to believe me. I never meant for any of this to happen.

When I showed Razor, he was furious. He grabbed me and started dragging me to Sophia's dead body. I started crying, silently and kept shaking my head no as he dragged me.