-Prologue-

I'm writing this letter to anyone thinking they might have magic. I hope my scribbles will aid you in some way.

But first let me introduce myself. My name is Asher Rhys Paxton, I live in the wonderful state of New York. And I know the next bit is going to sound crazy, just bare with me. I have magic.

Yeah, you heard me. I'm a mage!

You see, magic is a force everything in the universe has, but only a select few people, animals or plants can control and use. Some things are infused with shitloads of the stuff and stand out like a sore thumb. While others have more manageable amounts and can use it with practice. And the rest have tiny, itty bitty, minuscule amounts that have no impact on their life.

Mages are generally classified as pure-born (like myself) as half-borns (like my best friend) or as normal-born (like my best friend's boyfriend)(or I could say my crushes roommate if that's somehow less confusing for you).

Pure-born mages are the ones born into a long line of pure-born mages. Families often have legacies to uphold and reputations to maintain. The Pitch family is a prime example of a pure-born name and a family that doesn't care about much else besides their name. Basically, classic, grade A assholes. Okay not all of them are assholes, mostly they're just old fashioned.

Now, I may be a pure born, but most of what pure-borns stand for doesn't apply to my life as my legacy was lost when my parents died. I know, I know, a very original tragic backstory on my part.

Then there are the Half-born mages with one magic parent and one Normal parent. Their power can range from really powerful to an average mage. The Graham name is one family with great prestige for a half-born family. The Graham daughter, and my best friend, Alexandrea, is a perfect example of a brilliant half-born. She is one of the most intelligent mages in our generation and is a very potent magic user. Though she often doesn't get credit for her abilities. My other friend Jonah Crenshaw is an example of a perfectly average half-born mage. When it comes to Jonah you can't really beat his ingenuity or integrity (or his good looks).

The normal-born are the anomalies on the magic world. No one has been able to pinpoint how they come into their magic, and because of this they often are not considered to be real mages by some of the more close-minded pure-born families. Of course, that's complete shit and some amazing and innovative mages have been normal-born. Everett Finley, Alexandrea's long-term boyfriend, is a normal-born and you wouldn't be able to find a more hardworking or loyal person. He might need more time to nail a spell but that doesn't mean he's below any other mage.

Of course, there are also a stupid amount of politics on the magic side of things, because apparently, mages are far too precious to allow for harm to come to us. Which is fair because everyone really learnt a lesson from the Witch Trials in Salem. So the basics are that specific cities, states and sometimes entire countries are governed by an elected mage or family. Every continent has their own similar system to this to make sure mages and Normals stay safe and follow regulations. Which is, I guess, totally necessary. Although a huge pain in the ass.

The previously mentioned Pitch family controls most of the Vermont, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts area (ugh). While the Graham family governs nearly all of Pennsylvania (yeah!).

It goes like that similarly throughout all North and Central America, Europe and Australia. Asia, Russia and Africa have slightly different regulations but the principles are the same.

Now boring politics aside, and onto education. I can practically hear the groans while writing this. Schooling is necessary for young mages coming of age. Here in America, there are three magic schools: one in New York, one in California and a third in Illinois. I personally attend the Grimm School of Magic Users in New York. Grimm's is run by the head witch, Luciana, governor of all of New York and Rhode Island. She's simultaneously very scary and very cool. Which is really the dream.

All the magic schools are nearly the same with how things are run. There are five years of schooling from ages fourteen to nineteen. Growing up younger mages receive private education from tutors or can attend public school if the family so desires as long as measures are taken so the child doesn't accidentally use magic in public. My friends and I are all in year three. Aka the year with all the drama and attention.

The third year is the big one as it the year you're apart of The Concord spell instead of just attending. The year you turn seventeen is the year you get paired with your lifelong familiar. A familiar is an animal companion your very soul is bound to and can be anything from a mouse to a tiger. It's said the larger the animal the stronger your magic is, but that just one of the stupid superstitions surrounding the Concord, so I call bullshit. Although I will admit the idea does hold up to Headmistress Luciana. With her Jaguar you know better than to fuck with her. Even though everyone knows Luciana loves her students, we all know better than to get on her bad side.

Anyways I'm boring everyone so long story short, things are confusing and I'm almost a hundred percent sure things are never going to be easy.

Hope things go better for you. Sincerely,
A. Paxton

___________

GUESS WHO'S BACK WITH BIGGER AND BETTER PLANS.

It be me.

If anyone is curious the plot will remain pretty much the same but since my writing has improved I plan on revamping this story.

I have absolutely no clue how this will go but I have high hopes.

Comment if you have any questions!

xox Lindsey.

Ps im terrified. This is so daunting. Save my soul. Send help. Sos.

Pps IM ALSO VERY EXCITED.