Chapter 5

Emily's POV

When I woke up, it was 7:00 am. I realized that I never really unpacked all my clothes from my suit case. When I opened it, I then realized again that I mostly pack jeans and plaid flannel shirts. I packed two pairs of riding pants, and two nice riding shirts for dressage and show jumping. For shoes I have three pairs of my cowgirl boots, a pair of riding boots, and a pair of sneakers. I also packed my cowboy hat from my dad before I left, and my riding hat from my mom before she pasted away. I pulled out a pair of jeans and a plaid flannel that was red. I grabbed my cowboy hat and put on my cowgirl boots and went to the barn for Dusty's morning ride.

"Hey boy." I said to him. He looked happy to see me.

"Oh, I have something for you. You lost it while to were running away." I said while pulling his feather. He neighed in happiness. I tied it back into his mane.

"There." I went to get his english saddle, when I came back, I saw Will and Bailey walking to the barn.

"Hey Emily." Bailey said.

"Hi Bailey." I went to put the saddle on Dusty. He was staring at the picture.

"I know bud. I miss her too." It had been five months now since a fire that happened at the old ranch. Dad saved up money not only to send Dusty and I to Horseland, but to get the ranch fixed. I bridled Dusty and took him out of the stables and mounted him. When I was on him, everyone else started arriving. Alma first, then Molly, then Sarah. Chloe and Zoe were last.

"Come boy, let's go before I get my head bitten off by Sarah." I got him into a gallop, and we head down the trail. After some exploring we found ourselves in a meadow. I got off of Dusty.

"Hey boy, is it me or does Sarah not like me?" I asked Dusty.

"Sarah just thinks your going to take Will away from her." I turned around and saw Bailey.

"Hey Bailey. How did you know we were here?" I asked.

"Aztec and I followed you. Sorry." He replied. He sat down next to me. Dusty and Aztec were grazing.

"Its fine. What did you mean by Sarah thinks that I'm going to steal Will?" I asked. What was he talking about, I mean I'm friends with Will, but I don't like him the way Sarah thinks I like him.

"She saw the way he was staring at you. Also he took you on a ride your first day here. She didn't get that. Plus I heard her tell Alma and Molly." Bailey told me. So I have only two friends Will and Bailey. Three if I count Dusty. I went to Dusty and mounted him.

"Hey, where you going?" He asked.

"To talk to Sarah." I replied. I got Dusty into a gallop and went back to Horseland. I'm may not look physically strong, but back at the ranch I was stronger than most boys there. Sarah would be nothing. Once at Horseland I slowed Dusty to a walk, then I saw Sarah in the ring, talking to Will. Will then noticed me. Not what I wanted.

"Hey Emily." He said. I waved back. Ok Emily breath.

"Hey Sarah can we talk?" I asked.

"Sure." She said. She followed me into the barn, where I dismounted off of Dusty.

"If you have something to tell me, tell it to my face and not behind my back." I snapped at her. She looked like she didn't know what I was talking about, but then she did.

"How did you know?" She asked.

"Bailey told me, because unlike you, he hasn't been being snotty to me. Nor has Will. Plus I don't like Will, the only reason he's been nice to me is because as you notice I don't know that many people. I'm sure you know how that feels." I said. She had a sad look on her face. She then was looking behind me, when I turned around everyone was staring at us. Great, now I look like I'm the bad guy. I ran off to the trails.

"Emily wait." I heard Sarah call, but I didn't stop, I just kept running.

-------------------------------------

Sarah's POV

I watch Emily run into the trails. I went to get Scarlet bridled and saddled up, then I mounted on her.

"Where are you going amiga?" Alma asked me.

"I'm after Emily." I said.

"I'm going with you then." She said. She got onto Button. Molly got onto Caylpso, then Zoe got onto Pepper and Chloe got onto Chili. I looked to Will. And Bailey.

"You guys coming?" They both shooked there heads.

"This is more of a girl problem, but bring Dusty with you." Will said. I nodded, then pulled Dusty by his reins to follow. He started neighing at me and snorting. I tried calming him down, but that didn't work. Scarlet started neighing at him, then he stopped and stared at her.

"Come on Scarlet." I got her into a gallop and we went to follow Emily in the direction she went in. Dusty was doing a good job keeping up with us, but he looked like though he want to go faster. We heard a scream, then Dusty just broke into a sprint. Scarlet was able to keep Dusty in her eye site. When we got into a clearing Emily was on the ground and a mountain lion was near her. I got off of Scarlet, then she went to the mountain lion. Dusty was neighing at it, kicking his feet at it, the mountain lion ran away when everyone else arrived.

"What happened?" Zoe asked.

"Dusty scared a mountain lion away." I said to her. Dusty was nudging Emily's cheek with his muzzle.

"Emily can we talk?" I asked.

"So then you can yell at me trying to steal Will? I don't like him." She said. She sounded like she was crying. Man what I did was terrible.

"No, I came to apologize." I said. She stared at me.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm sorry for being a jerk when we first met, it's just that I saw the way Will was staring at you and it got me nervous. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions about you." I told her. She was staring at the ground.

"If you let me have a second chance, I promise not to jump to conclusions." I said.

"I guess you can have a second chance." She said. I smiled. She got onto Dusty and I got onto Scarlet.

"Hey last one to Horseland has to muck out the winners stall for a week." Molly said. She took off on Caylpso, Alma followed, then Zoe, then Chloe, Emily and I took off at the same time. I heard Emily say something to Dusty but I didn't understand it, but whatever it was, Dusty started to get faster.

"Come on Scarlet don't lose sight of Dusty." Scarlet started getting faster, but Dusty was still ahead of her. We passed Molly, then Chloe and Zoe, Emily passed Alma, then I did. We lost sight of them, until when we got back at Horseland, Emily was there patting Dusty's neck.

"Wow, Dusty really likes to run." I said.

"Ya, my dad told me that he got his speed from his dad." She said. Everyone finally caught up to us.

"Man I have to muck out Scarlet's stall." Molly said.

"Actually, Emily won." I said. She looked shocked.

"Sarah and Scarlet lost. That never happens." Molly said. We all started laughing.

"Hey, time to go get lunch." Will said. Great I'm starving. I got off of Scarlet and lead her to her stall.

"I'll be back girl." I said. I saw Will waiting for me. I caught up to him. I saw Emily staying behind.

"You coming?" I asked.

"I'll be in soon." She said. Then Will and I went to get lunch.