forty-eight

Ethan walked along the concrete of the sidewalk, looking around for any sign of Benny, Lily, or Sarah. As he stepped forwards, turning his head to see behind him, he knocked into someone, sending them to the floor.

"I-I'm so sorry, I was just looking for my-" he stopped abruptly as he noticed he had bumped into Lily, and he held out his hand to help her up, "Lily! Thank god you're not dead! Have you seen any of the others? I have no idea what happened, I just woke up in my room like nothing had changed and-" he paused, looking at the very confused girl in front of him, "Why do you look like you have no idea about what I'm saying?"

Lily frowned, "Because I don't? Look, I'm really sorry but I think you've got the wrong person, I mean, we've never met before,"

"Y-you, we-what?" Ethan stammered, he ran a hand through his hair, "Lil, it's me! Ethan! Ya know, your best friend,"

Lily raised her eyebrows and began to continue walking to school, Ethan followed her, "I'm sorry, that name doesn't ring a bell," she shrugged, "Wait a second," she stopped walking and turned to Ethan, "Ethan, right?"

He nodded, a hopeful glint in his eyes, "Yes..."

"As in, Ethan from my calculus class?"

He sighed, and began walking with Lily once again, "I mean, yes, yes I'm in your calculus class, but, don't you remember anything else?" he questioned as the two walked side-by-side. Lily stopped by her locker, and Ethan stood next to her, "C'mon, you don't remember Sarah or Benny?"

Lily shrugged as she put her books away, "The only Benny I know is the one that thinks he's the coolest kid on earth, totally annoying if you ask me,"

"That sounds like Benny," Ethan muttered, "Do you know where I could find him?"

Lily turned to face the teen, "Are you a jock?"

Furrowing his eyebrows, he replied, "Uh, no, why?"

"Then, chances are, Benny won't speak a word to you, unless giving you a wedgie counts," she sighed, "I don't even know how he got on the football team if I'm honest,"

"Football team?" Ethan scoffed.

Lily nodded, "Yep, now he's, like, the most popular kid in school, every girl wants to date him, personally, he's not my type, just seems like a jerk to me,"

"Ironic," Ethan muttered.

"What?"

"Uh, I said: me too,"

Lily shut her locker, "Anyways, it was, uh, nice talking to you, I should probably be getting to class though, see you in calculus!" she smiled, walking away.

Ethan leant against the lockers, "What the heck did Stern do?"

He ignored the school bell and headed straight for vice principal stern's office - he didn't bother knocking, instead he pushed the door open, "What's going on?"

Stern's eyes widened in surprise, "Ethan? Huh, shouldn't you be in class?"

"No, no I shouldn't, because I wanna know what you've done to my friends,"

Stern stood up, frowning, "You remember?" Ethan nodded, "Your second sight must've blocked the memory curse I put on the town,"

"So that's what this is? A memory curse?"

Stern tutted, walking around his desk to stand in front of Ethan, "Think about it this way, if you, Benny, and Lily never met, then who would there be to stop me?" he chuckled, "Those powers from the Lucifractor were okay, but I want more Ethan, and once I get them, this spell will be permanent,"