CHAPTER TEN

you hurt me again and again but I would rather have that pain than not have you at all

(hi no more gifs this is future me in 2020 i'm not editing these just posting bye)

I tried to push the image to the back of my mind while on the break. But it kept creeping back in, no matter what I did. It left me awake at night with an aching heart, wondering why I wasn't good enough.

I was still upset a bit that the girls hadn't told me sooner, but they said they thought it was part of the movie. Yeah, well we aren't filming and it wasn't any part of set. So I knew.

He texted me the day after I found out. All it said was "Sorry". I blocked him in response.

I distanced myself from Sophia. It hurt too much, knowing she was his friend and mine.

After a month of heartache and friends trying to cheer me up, it was time. The dreaded thing I knew was coming. We had to go back to filming. But I had a plan. I was going to protect myself, whatever the cost.

So I boarded a plane and flew back to California, the place that only rained when I was with him. I was determined to have a drought. I made sure I changed my plane to the day before I told him I'd get back. I wanted to be prepared before I saw him.

My aunt and I spend the day together watching movies. I told her over the phone what had happened. We didn't talk about it.

Two days later, I was cocooned in my bed, writing in my songbook when the doorbell rang. I heard my aunt open the door, then loud voices. I knew who it was instantly.

I crept toward my closed door and opened it a crack. "...please, I just need to talk to her" his voice sounded broken. "No. Wyatt, just leave. Please. It's better for all of us" my aunt says, and I shut my door. I slump back into my bed.

A few minutes later, I hear a tap at my window, then another. I don't get up, I know it's him. I bury my head in my pillow and wait until I'm sure he's gone.

Once I'm sure, I creep to the window, and peer out. On the sill outside  a note is taped. I open the window and grasp it, then sit at my desk, running my fingers over then and on the front. I recognize his handwriting. I take a deep breath, then rip the envelope open.