CHAPTER TWO

( CHAPTER TWO )

" why there's hills on my skin ! "

We walk down the cobblestone walkway, the breeze lifting my hair in tiny wisps

We walk down the cobblestone walkway, the breeze lifting my hair in tiny wisps. I keep trying to subtly glance at him, tracing his sharp jawline and high cheekbones with my pale blue eyes. I catch him staring at me the third time I sneak a look.
He has to look down at my small figure as I only come up to his chin. I notice that he has tiny freckles dotting his nose and his curls bounce softly with every step we take. I can't help but smile at his features. They're elfish, and absolutely adorable. He also smells like cinnamon. As we walk, we fill the empty space around us with small talk and tidbits of our lives. I learn about his dog, Romani, and his mother's love for painting. I tell him about back home, my favorite parts of the city and about the one time I got lost in Chinatown with only a bag of peanuts. He liked that last story a lot. I liked it too, since it made him giggle like a child when I explained how an elderly woman had tried to sell me a ball of lint for my peanuts. He suddenly pulls on my arm, his legs quickening their pace.

"There it is!" he smiles, his face lighting up. He is gorgeous; I can feel my heart flip. He looks down at me again, and we just stare into each others eyes for a moment. It's as if time stops. His eyes are like space, never ending pools of hazel that glowed like lava in the setting sun. They are full of secrets that I want to explore. I blink, severing our connection. I notice that we have stopped in front of a small yellow shop. It has a sign hung in the window, shaped like an ice cream cone.

"How cute," I remark warmly. It's angood size inside, but somehow reminds me of the small hole-in-the-wall places back home. The door jingles as he pushes inside, moving to hold the door open for me. I nod with a smile in thanks, my eyes widening as the cool, sweet-smelling air hits my face. The walls are white with pink dots, and there are matching pink chairs and tables on one side. The other side is completely occupied by a long counter, with glass tops and tubs of ice cream inside. A small register sits at the very end. He walks over to the  counter and I follow to peer at the flavors.

"Daffodil? Rosemary? Velvet? What do those even taste like?" I ask, laughing at the peculiar names of the ice creams. He glances over at me.

"It's a hipster trend, I guess," he shrugs, "I don't entirely know why Missy names them so oddly". My brow furrows at the name.

"Missy"?

"That would be me"! A cheery voice quips from the back of the parlor, and a stout woman appears from a doorway behind the counter. She smiles at us fondly, her eyes growing warm when she sees the boy standing next to me.

"Wyatt!" She exclaims.

So that's his name.

Coming closer to the small register, she motions towards me before inquiring: "and who is this"?

"I'm Layla". My name slips out without hesitation from my lips.

"Well, nice to meet you Layla" she says with a knowing twinkle in her eyes. She clasps her hands behind the counter.

"Now, what can I get you"? We get our respective cones, mine holding the mysterious daffodil and Wyatt's holding a pink scoop, whose name had escaped me. I look at him once Missy disappears back into the back room, my eyebrow raised in question.

"Friends with my Nana," he smirks in response, gently intertwining our pinkies as he leads me to a table. We sit at a table by the window, across from eachother with the afternoon sun shining in, dancing across his features. I'm a bit sad when he releases our hands, my pinky curling into my empty hand, feeling cold without his warmth. He catches me staring at the sun on his face and I duck my head in a blush.

"So", he starts as I eat my ice cream, which surprisingly tastes of honey and lemon, "what were you doing today before I crashed into you"? I swallow as he looks into my eyes, his eyebrow cocked.

"I just flew in from New York today. I'm staying with my aunt", I start, "I have...erm...business here". I look at my ice cream to avoid his eyes. I can feel them burning on my skin.

"Mmm, what kind of business"? I can hear the smirk in his voice as he eats. His free hand drums the table in a pleasant rhythm. I look back up, placing my head in my hand with a sigh.

"Fine. I'm not supposed to tell anyone yet, but..."

I know I can trust you.

"I actually write songs for my YouTube channel. It's pretty successful, not to brag. Anyways, I got a business call for a small indie movie soundtrack".  He nods, catching a bit of his ice cream as it spills down his cone.

"Why, that's pretty cool. Didn't know you were so interesting, Layla" My breath hitches a bit when he says my name. We sit in comfortable silence as we finish our cones.

"So...", Wyatt says, standing to clear our trash, "Want to take a walk"? I check the time on my phone. It's still pretty early and Aunt Jean hadn't texted me yet. I look up into his eyes.

"Lead the way" I say with a grin, placing my hand in his.

12/5/19
authors note |
hi i missed
them so much
woah

status | rewritten
edited