The Gift

Beep .  .  . Beep .  .  . Beep .  .  .  Beep . . .

Melissa stared at the machine making the irritating but reassuring noise. It showed a weak but still present heartbeat of the man sleeping in the hospital bed.

There were several other machines hooked up to him, as well as several IV's.

Melissa held back her tears as she sat in the chair next to him, and reached to cling to his hand. She noticed how, frail it was and remembered when she was a small girl and he had been so strong. How safe she had felt when her father held her in his arms.

She squeezed his hand gently.

The man's eyes opened, and she saw him smile when he recognized her. She could see that he was very frail, but aware.

"Hi Dad, I'm sorry that I wasn't here sooner, I got here as quickly as I could."

She watched as her father struggled.

"It's okay. . . . Long flight. . . . Bob? Kids?"

"No. . . . They wanted to, but they really couldn't get away, just yet. Bob's looking into flights for the weekend."

He nodded, understanding.

"The truth is, we have some things to talk about, and I needed privacy that I wouldn't have gotten with Bob along."

Her father squeezed her hand encouraging her.

"Okay."

"Remember when you and Mom sat me down, and you first told me about your other self. I was maybe eight or nine, not quite into puberty yet, but almost."

A slight nod accompanied his wonderful smile.

"I didn't handle that very well at the time. . . . I'm sorry about that."

Once again she felt the gentle squeeze of his hand, as she continued.

"My first thought, of course, was that you were going to embarrass me in front of all my friends, and I couldn't believe it. Even then I should have known better, as you always put Mom and my needs first. It took me a while, but I did eventually figure that out. Once I got over it, it was kind of cool being able to talk about fashion and makeup and stuff with you and Mom."

She smiled at her father, and he gave her one back. She held back a tear - wishing the hospital odor around her wasn't so ominous.

"Some of those shopping trips the three of us made back then were sure fun. I hope you know that after that initial reaction, that Mom and I always loved and accepted you."

He nodded his head. She smiled and gently increased the pressure on his hand.

"What you probably don't know, is that I knew how hard it was for you to watch me grow from a little girl into a woman. I could see the jealousy that you fought as I started to grow my breasts, when I had my first period, and went on my first date."

She saw him start to object and quickly moved on.

"Oh, I knew that you were also happy and proud for me, but I knew how much you hurt inside, and I made a vow that someday I would find a way for you to experience those things for yourself."

With that, she saw a sad smile and a tear come to her father's eyes.

"It's okay, sweetheart . . . . I loved you and your mother, and I wouldn't change one day."

She smiled knowing the depth of what he'd said.

"I know that, Dad. I can't turn back the clock, and I can't give you a new body. I can't even cure this disease . . . . but I can give you that experience now."