Sexy Green Eyed Monster

I walk happily down the hall after my musical ensemble in Ms. Perry's class. A broad smile rests on my face and I can't but giggle every time I think of Ms. Perry's confused face.

I arrive at my next class, Science, and like usual am the first one there. Our teacher Mr. Fletcher is at his desk, writing away on a piece of paper. I lightly clear my throat and Mr. Fletcher finally realizes my presence. He puts his pen down and smiles at me. "Ah, Rose. Early as usual I see." He states raising his eyebrows.

Still in a good mood so I beam at him. "Well you know me sir." I'm much happier than usual and it must show because Mr. Fletcher looks surprised.

"Something good happen?" He asks bluntly. I think back to math and chuckle.

"You could say that." My vague answer seems to satisfy him and he picks his pen back up.

"I see, well good." His gaze falls back to the papers in front of him. "Now take a seat." He says pointing his pen at my station without looking up.

"Yes sir." I respond mechanically, turning towards my station. After about two steps I hear Mr. Fletcher call out to me.

"Oh and Ms. Smith?" I stop and turn back, expecting him to give me some job he's too lazy to do himself like pass out papers.

"Yes?" I'm just in time to see a small round object leave his hand. The little ball hurdles towards me and my instincts quickly kick in. My hand flies up at an inhuman speed and catches the object, only an inch from my face. Mr. Fletcher chuckles at this and says.

"Happy birthday."

Confused, I focus my gaze on the object in my hand. A wave of realization washes over me as I realize that there, pinched between my thumb and my index finger, is a small butterscotch candy wrapped in shiny gold plastic.

The action is so like him that I couldn't suppress a laugh. He didn't seem to notice though as he returned, once again, to his work. My gaze falls from him to the candy and I smile warmly. I clutch the candy tightly in my hand before stuffing it into my pocket.

"Thanks Mr. Fletcher." I say quietly, looking at him from the corner of my eye. However, he just continues writing, showing no sign of having heard me.

I sigh and walk to my station. I throw my backpack on the floor next to me and pull out my notebook. I look up at the clock. There's still a good three minutes before class actually begins. Trying to kill time, I just watch the second hand move slowly but surely around the clock.

When I get bored of that I absentmindedly draw on a blank page of my notebook. Before long, students come filing in at the last second and take their seats.

Ignoring my surroundings, I continue doodling, support my head on my hand.

"Alright everyone, that's enough socializing, you heard the bell! Time to start class!" Mr. Fletcher announces loudly to the class. Funny, I didn't hear the bell? Must have been too absorbed with my sketch.

"First things first." Mr. Fletcher says, standing up from his swivel chair. "We're having a partner change!" This is followed by a chorus of both groans and cheers. My hand stops moving and I glance up at him skeptically.

I really don't want to be forced to work with someone I don't like....again! I raise my head from its perch on my hand and look over to my current lab partner, Katie. Her gaze is locked on the front of the room. She's eager, a look of excitement on her face, as she waits for her new partner to be announced.

Probably just hoping to get paired with one of her two bit friends who all share half a brain. I sigh, closing my eyes and rubbing them softly with my hands. It took me months to get used to Katie.