Werewolves Make Everything Better

Clearwater Prep, my high school, aka my own little piece of hell on earth. This place, like most of the town, is mostly populated by werewolves along with a few lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) humans who know of our existence.

This town is pretty much werewolf central. If you are a human living here who doesn't know about werewolves than you are both blind and deaf, don't go outside ever, or just mind numbingly stupid.

All in all...this place sucks!!!

I guess you could say that I'm popular, but well, that kind of comes with the title of alpha's daughter. Doesn't matter though, I'm more of a lone wolf. Another reason I don't want a mate.

I walk forward, dragging my feet and praying to the gods that this place drops off the face of the earth. Suddenly my eardrums are attacked by a high pitched voice. "Happy birthday Rose!!!"

I turn my head to the side only to see my best friend Lexi running towards me at full speed. I'm amazed at how fast those skinny legs can carry her. With every step, her short brown curls bounce wildly around her making her look kind of crazy.

"Lexi?" I say in shock and no sooner had the words left my mouth than I am tackled by the smallest person in the world with the biggest bear hug. All of the air leaves my body and I stagger back.

I desperately try to my feet back under me, but to no prevail as I lose my balance and fall backwards. "AAHHH!!!" I close my eyes and prepare for impact when suddenly I hit something hard and a pair of strong arms wrap around me for support.

"Whoa there little lady!" A familiar voice exclaims from right above my head. I look up, already knowing who it is. I'm practically lying on my friend James' chest. Lexi, finally letting go, quickly regains her composure like nothing happened.

"18, my god that means you can find your mate! I can't wait to meet him, my best friend's perfect guy! Aaahhh!!!" She squeals as if it is her who is getting a mate and not me. I just glare in response to her giddy attitude. Watching her jump up and down clapping her hands excitedly only hardens my look. 

Completely distracted by Lexi's outburst, I once again hear James's voice. "Hey I don't mind holding you all day, but don't you think we should get to class?" His teasing tone snaps me back to my reality, making me look up at him curiously before realizing that I'm still in his arms.

Panicked, I jump away from him. When I look back he's smirking. Running a large hand through his close cropped, pitch black hair, he puts on an expression of mock hurt. "Damn, and here I thought we were having a moment." He says, sniffling slightly and wiping away an invisible tear.

Heat rushes to my cheeks, my eyes immediately going to anything but him. "Shut up unless you want me to really give you something to cry about." I growl, trying to hide my embarrassment. He chuckles and puts his hand on my head, messing up my hair. As I try to swat his hand away like an angry kitten, an idiotic grin spreads across his face.

James is another one of my childhood friends, stupid as he may be. He's one of those knowledgeable human, he's known my secret ever since the day he really pissed me off after hitting me with a water balloon and I accidentally shifted in front of him. That was good revenge though, since he screamed like a little girl and was on edge for weeks.

I huff at him, crossing my arms over my chest like a little girl. Lexi, who had just watched the whole thing, suddenly waves her hand between us. We both look at her and she turns dramatically to James. "Hey now, you can't be messing with Rose like that, what if her mate sees?" She scowls giving him a look that said, 'You should know better.'