A Pictures Worth A Thousand Words

Harry: You hear it. That loud laugh you’ve always known, lips stretching over perfect straight teeth, blinking molars. The loud laugh with that ring to it as his head turned upwards with the sheer force of it. 

"Harry?" You question bemused, walking around the corner of the bush. "Oh- Oh God!" You falter, averting your eyes. "Wow." You start laughing, eyes wide in bemused embarrassment. 

"I- I’m sorry I don’t even know who you are. I just needed to pee man." Harry slurs out, giggling to himself. 

You turn your eyes back on him, amusement colouring them. “So you needed to pull your pants all the way down for that? There’s people taking photos.” You nod, thumbing to the direction behind him. 

Harry stares at you blankly for a moment and then shuts his eyes tightly with realisation. “Fuck, no. I- can you make them stop? Please?” There is no more laughter. You didn’t need to be told twice. Yelling, screaming, kicking and pushing you shove away all the people who scurry under your threat to delete the photos. When they’re gone you hear Harry pulling up his pants, fumbling with the belt. “Ah shit- where’s the hole for this thing?” Harry bursts out laughing again. “I have never had to ask that before.” 

"Hopeless, hapless Harry." You chortle, shaking your head as you walk to Harry, grabbing him by his belt. "Your pasty arse could never hold your drinks." Harry is staring down at you, eyes glazed with intoxication, sprinkled with glowing lust as you pull the belt taught with a knowing smile. "There ya go Hare." 

Realisation crashes into him and he falls back onto the bushes, stunned as he says your name as his footsteps echo off the cold sidewalk. “Is it you? No one else calls me that. It is!” He jumps up, grabbing you in a long armed, tight hug that lifts you from the ground. “It really is you!” he repeats. 

"Slow down jack rabbit." You chuckle as he places you on your feet again. "I didn’t think you’d recognise me." 

"I- Well I didn’t at first." He breathes out, running a large hand through his hair, pulling it taught at the roots from his forehead.

"Uh- how you been?" You ask a little awkwardly, patting him on the arm. 

Harry shakes his head. “Urgh, no don’t be like that. I’m still the same guy.” He pleads, holding your hands. “I’ve been alright here, but I haven’t seen a real friend in a long time. I could really use one right now.” 

Awkwardness fading, you smile brightly. “You always knew how to get to my bunny heart.” 

Harry nods enthusiastically. “Okay, I’m going to do something, and then we can go get- still like milkshakes?” 

"Yeah sure, but what is it you wanted to d-" Harry presses his lips, a little sloppily onto yours, the heat as intense as it is sweet. 

Liam: "No- wait, wait, wait. Let me stand like this, I want to look like Batman." Liam calls out against the howling air. He makes himself rigid, tall, fists clenched tight, trying his best to pull a serious face." 

"What would your superhero name be? Payneman?" One of his friends egg on, phone in front of his face. 

"Nah! Only with my girlfriend!" He boasts loudly. "You better not put this up anywhere. I’ll get in so much shit." 

"Oops, already on twitter." Another friends teases without sympathy. 

Liam rolls his eyes, stumbling a little. “Ah- fuck you!” He flips the bird, regaining his balance. 

Liam turns at a banging on a window from above him, and a loud woosh as it swings open against the air. “No, no, please wait. I don’t know who are, what you’re feeling, but, you don’t have to jump. Okay. You don’t. It’s not the answer. I care about you, whoever you are. Just- wait I’m coming down. Please. Wait.” All Liam could watch was your hair billowing in the wind, eyes filled with tears before you shut the window. Liam could feel his friends howling with laughter in the distance. Only know did your words, a stranger words, register to him, and what it looked like being up here.