Come home for Christmas

Niall: You were trying not to cry. You bit down on the inside of your cheek until you tasted blood and squeezed your eyes shut. “I’m sorry,” he whispered, his own voice hoarse. The phone in your hand felt suddenly heavy, as if it had taken on the weight of your heart. He would not be home for Christmas. The distance had taken it’s toll on you both but this was the final blow. Your heart broke inside your chest and you took a shaky breath. How could he not come home? He had promised you over and over that he would be home to celebrate with you. He had tried, you knew that. He looked for flights everywhere but all were booked-it was Christmas Eve after all. “All I wanted for Christmas was you in a big red bow,” you laughed, a tear escaping. He pretended that you weren’t crying, that his heart wasn’t breaking along with yours. Somehow, he found the ability to chuckle as well. “I know baby, I know.” He stayed on the phone with you until you fell asleep, counting down the minutes to midnight. He wanted to be the first to wish you a happy Christmas. When you woke up the following morning and stumbled down the stairs, eyes puffy and sore from crying you paused. There was a duffel by the door and shoes by the couch. You blinked in disbelief. Those were Niall’s. Surely he wasn’t…? Slowly, not daring to believe this was real, you looked to the couch. There, wrapped in a big red bow and snoring softly was Niall. You rubbed your eyes, were you dreaming? You pinched your arm until you winced but no, he was really here. Slowly you moved to him, your hand running down the ribbon he had tied around his stomach. “Baby,” you cried, a breathless laugh passing your lips. He stirred and opened his eyes, a sleepy grin on his face. “Do you really think I’d miss Christmas with my best girl?” He rasped, opening his arms up to you. He didn’t think he’d been able to get home, to be honest. But then he realized there was no way he was staying away from you a moment longer. No, Niall would have walked to get here with you. He’d taken a train, a cab and another train but somehow he got home. “I’m so happy you’re home,” he pulled you into his chest and nuzzled his nose against your temple. “Nothing could ever keep me away from you,” he said softly, fingers on your jaw. “I’ll always find a way home to you.”

Liam: He wasn’t here. You couldn’t stand the empty apartment without him. What was the point of the decorations? You’d thought he’d come home. That’s the only reason you did all of it. But now that you knew Liam would not make it home for Christmas, it all seemed pointless. Instead you went to your family home, the warmth of your mothers hug somehow lessened the pain. You were silent though, watching your family celebrate with vacant eyes. Nothing could fill up the hole in your heart. He couldn’t get out of New York. It had snowed and he was stuck in his hotel, he had said. You sighed and told him you understood. What else could you do? “We have someone special coming tonight!” Your mother said to your little cousin. “Santa?!” She cried, eyes bright. Somehow that brought a smile to your lips. The joy in her eyes was impossible to miss. “Yes!” Your cousin squealed, rattling off her Christmas list. You waited, hearing the front door open and a deep “ho ho ho,” filled the living room. Sure enough, Santa walked into the room with his giant black bag over his shoulder. You grinned, watching him settle into the couch. Your cousin scrambled into his lap, telling him her Christmas list. “Have you been a good girl?” He asked, handing her a candy cane. She had assured him she had been. “Then you should get everything you want for Christmas!” He declared, tapping her on the nose. With a brilliant smile only a child could have, she took off out of the room.  “And how about you, young lady? What do you want for Christmas?” It took a moment for you to realize he was talking to you. He gestured for you to come sit on his lap and you obliged. “What would you like?” You sucked in a sharp breath and bit your lip. “I want my boyfriend to find a way home,” you muttered, eyes downcast. “Maybe he has,” Santa murmured softly, pulling his beard down. You stared in disbelief as Liam tugged off the hat and the beard fully. “Surprise baby,” he smiled. You threw your arms around his neck, crying into his shoulder. You couldn’t speak, couldn’t breathe. “You’re here, you’re here,” you repeated over and over as his hands soothed you. “Like I could ever be without you,” he admonished softly, just before he pressed his mouth to yours.