Chapter Forty-three

Laura

"Shit, shit, shit!" I screamed slamming my fist into the wall of my hall. It left a dent in the plaster and my knuckles began to bleed but I didn't care. This couldn't be happening! I punched the wall again, my hand throbbing and shaking - both from pain and anger.

I paced the hallway, trying to calm myself down but the emptiness only reminded me of the problem at hand. I didn't know whether to dare checking the rest of the house. I couldn't see into any of the rooms, which was probably a good thing right now, if what lay beyond was what I expected.

It seemed strange that the front door should be hanging open but the two doors coming off the hall were closed. Logic said this was because the lock had been forced and a closer inspection of the door confirmed it. That only made me angrier. The wall acquired two more dents.

I stared down at the wooden floor. The boards were rough and cracked with only a thin layer of dust resting upon them. They hadn't been exposed for long, whoever was responsible for this had only done it a few days prior to my return.

I ran my hands angrily through my air and kicked the wall so hard I fell to the floor clutching it.

"Shit!" I yelled into the empty house, "why the fuck does this have to happen now!?"

No one responded as I screamed my anger into the otherwise silent air. When my throat began to hurt I stopped and slowly picked myself up off the floor. I drew in several deep breaths to gain the nerve to open the door to my living room. Then I pushed the handle of the door down and let it open completely.

It was empty. Like the hallway, like I now knew the rest of the house was. Stripped clean, gutted whatever word you want to use . I had been robbed. And they'd left nothing behind but the floorboards I now stood upon and the bare walls around me.

I pulled out my mobile and quickly called the police. They said they'd be there within the hour.

Then I made a second call, this time to my sister. I'd need somewhere to stay tonight. This would mean crashing on her couch, she told me but I honestly wasn't complaining. As long as I didn't stay in the shell which remained of my home.

"I'll keep you as long as I can but there's not much space. We'll be pretty cramped," Stephanie informed me, sounding regretful.

That I understood, babies needed a lot of crap. I thought about it then told her I'd call her back.

I'd come up with an easier alternative for my sister but I felt bad for imposing on Lilly's family even longer. Still I had to check, for Steph.

"Hey baby," I said as soon as she picked up.

"Hiya," she sounded happy, "what's up?"

I explained the situation as quickly as I could, then hesitated.

"So I was wondering, if it's okay with your parents, may I stay at yours for a while? Just until I can get some money from the insurance company to buy a bed."

"Oh Jesus Laura that's awful, of course you can stay, they'll probably be overjoyed. Did you call the police?"

"Yes, they'll be here within the next fifteen minutes."

"Would you like me to come join you?"

"I'll be seeing you soon anyway, you don't have to bother."

"Oh, okay." She sounded hurt.

"You can come if you want to, I'd be happy to see you," I told her, trying to make her feel better.

"I don't know, you'll see me soon anyway," she threw my words back at me and I winced.