Chapter Four

Lilly

The house loomed before me. The place I would have to face everyone and tell them what had happened today.

They would know that I'd found 'the One', there was no hiding that, but how I was going to tell them she was... well, a she, was another matter. Could I face it? Could I tell them that she wouldn't listen to me and I had no way of convincing her? Would they judge me because of it or would they accept me? I wouldn't know until I had the guts to tell them.

Drawing in a deep breath I entered the house, my heart racing. The door closed behind me with a loud thump and I felt strangely trapped.

"Baby!" My mum shouted, "is that you?" I stood in the entrance uncertainly until I realised there was no point trying to avoid the inevitable.

"Yes mum, it's me." I replied, hurrying through to the kitchen.

"So?" She grabbed me and pulled me to her, "You were in a hurry weren't you?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, a little muffled as I was pressed against her shoulder.

"The first day and you found him." Dad explained, "no one has done that before, in the entire history of our family." He was looking at me proudly and smiling more than I'd seen since Harry's death.

"Oh." My stomach twisted.

"So where is he? Who is he?" Mum asked.

"Someone from school," I said not ready to pop their bubble of happiness.

"What does he look like? You should have invited him over so we could meet him." Mum sounded so pleased it made me irritated. All the 'he's' were bugging me.

I just shrugged.

"Is he nice? Handsome?" Tara asked running into the room. That was the last straw. Miss Hart, handsome. The comparison would have made me smile if I wasn't so worked up.

"No! For god's sake leave me alone!" I screamed and ran from the room.

I pounded up the stairs and ran into Eric, Anne's fiance.

"Hey buddy," He grabbed my shoulders, "what's the rush?"

"Let go of me!" I shrieked twisting in his grip. Surprised, he let me go and I raced into my room, locking the door behind me.

I flung myself onto my bed and sobbed into the pillow. The image of Miss Hart's face pulled into a cold sneer as she called me a freak filled my head, causing me to sob harder.

Laura

The phone rang loudly as I was washing my hair.

Leaping from the shower and quickly drying my hands I answered it.

"Hello."

"Hey, Laura," Courtney, my best friend, trilled.

"Hey Court, what is it?"

"Are you busy tonight?" She asked immediately arousing suspicion.

"No," I admitted and I could almost picture her smug grin.

"You are now!" She announced, "I've got you a date." I groaned, "Don't be like that, this one's different. I promise."

"I know you Courtney, your taste in women is terrible."

"I'm not cut from that cloth so you can't expect it to be." She laughed but when I didn't join in she became serious again, "I promise she's nice."

"No, Courtney, I've told you no more dates!"

"But," I could tell she was pouting, "I already told her you'd meet her and she seemed really excited to see you."