Chapter Thirty-three

Lilly

It had been a while since Laura opened up to me and things had been going great. She began to talk to me more openly about how she felt, and speak about how her fathers abuse had affected her. She'd even said that she was relieved she'd finally told someone and that I was really helping her to work through it.

I wasn't so sure I was helping. I knew nothing about psychology and was uncertain about giving any advice. I didn't want to make things worse; I'd much rather she see a professional.

I had asked if she'd ever thought about therapy. She had looked away from the movie and over at me with a frown.

"Why?"

"I think it would help you, to talk to someone about how you feel."

"I'm talking to you, aren't I?" She said, with a quizzical look.

"Yes," I agreed slowly, "but I'm no professional, I can't help you work through this all."

"You don't want me to talk about it to you?"

"No," I replied hastily, "I do want you to talk about it. It's only that... I can't actually help you come to terms with it, or anything like that... all I can do is listen."

"That's all I need right now," my girlfriend reassured me. "Everything in good time."

"So you'll see someone later?" I asked, hopefully.

She smiled at me and kissed my forehead.

"We'll see."

I'd been suspicious but let it slide. We could argue that when it came to it.

I hadn't seen her in over a week due to her work load. She had three nights of parent-teacher meetings and the backlog of paperwork was rather large so she'd spent most of the weekend inside marking.

I'd decided to stop by and surprise her. Mainly because I missed her but also because a small part of me worried that, if I didn't talk to her for a while, she'd close up again.

So, after Uni, I went home and had a quick shower, then told my mum I might not be back for dinner. She'd fussed over me for a few minutes then let me be on my way.

I picked up some flowers on my way over and pulled up to her bungalow with a smile and my hand clasped around the half-dozen roses.

My smile instantly fell when I looked out the windscreen and saw the back of a head I vaguely recognised. The figure attached to the head was pressing Laura against the wall of her home and passionately making out with her. And Laura was not fighting her off.

I climbed out the car slowly, not sure if what I was seeing was real. I approached them carefully and as I drew nearer, and heard the wet sound of their lips moving together, my confusion fled and anger flooded in.

I dropped the roses, which I had somehow still held up until that point, and grabbed the woman, pulling her off my girlfriend.

"What the fuck?" The woman, whose identity was now all too obvious, exclaimed. "What are you doing here?" It was Caitlin.

"What am I doing here?" I spluttered, "I could ask you the same question."

"I'm here to see Laura," Caitlin said, crossing her arms across her chest smugly. "She is my girlfriend after all."

"Really?" I asked, thinking that she couldn't possibly still believe that lie... could she? "You're still spouting that crap?"

"You're just jealous because she want me more than you," Caitlin said with a smirk.