Chapter Fourteen

Laura

After Lilly asked me to leave I bought a coffee at a nearby gas station and sat in my car, drinking it slowly.

I couldn't really understand what she was going through. When Stephanie had Alexander there were no problems, no complications. The birth was smooth and relatively quick so I'd never had any reason to worry about her more than was normal.

Watching Lilly break down like that and seeing how much she obviously cared for her sister and her baby made me feel a bit guilty.

I hadn't spoken to Stephanie in ages, even when she called I didn't say much.

The guilt was too much so I pulled out my phone and dialed her number.

"Hey, Steph?"

"Hiya, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, I was just wondering how you were and how Alexander's doing."

"We're all fine. So do you have time to talk now?"

"Yes. Sorry about last night, I know I said I'd phone you but Lilly's sister miscarried so I had to comfort her."

"Oh poor girl." Stephanie said. "I can't imagine what she's going through."

"Neither can I." I admitted, "which is why it was so hard to not loose my temper and start screaming at her."

"Please tell me you managed to hold your tongue."

"Of course I did, what do you take me for? Some kind of mental woman who can't control herself?"

"No offense but, kind of, yes."

"Whatever." I said, "I'm going now."

"I didn't offend you did I?" Stephanie asked sounding concerned.

"You did actually, but it's fine."

"I'm sorry." She didn't say anything for a while, then I could imagine the grin she sported. "It's true though."

"Goodbye." I said and hung up, not quite able to stop my lips from twitching upwards.

I put the car into reverse and drove home.

***

Sitting in front of the TV with a plate full of delicious Chinese food is the perfect way to end the evening.

I sighed contentedly and watched the contestants of Masterchef sweating it out over their hobs.

There was only one girl still in the running and I desperately wanted her to win because, not to to be sexist or anything, girls are the best!

I heard a knock at the door and went to get it. Caitlin was standing there with a hopeful smile on her face and I glared at her.

"What do you want?" I demanded.

"I just want to take you back. I know you're sorry and I'm ready to forgive you." My mouth fell open and for a minute I couldn't speak.

"Wha-what?" I stuttered, still not understanding what she'd just said.

"I've come to say it's okay and I'm not angry with you anymore." She said and tried to go past me into the house. I put my arm in the way and stopped her. "What's wrong?"

"You're taking me back?" I asked.

"Yeah, lucky for you." She smiled and leaned in to kiss me. I pushed her away from me and she looked at me with wide eyes. "What's wrong?"

"I don't quite understand why you think I wanted you to forgive me. I seem to recall that I was the one who broke off our relationship, not you." She frowned as though confused.