Chapter Thirty-nine

Laura

"So many birthdays," I grumbled down the phone.

"I'm sorry babe, I completely forgot about it. I wouldn't ask you this if I didn't really need your help."

"I know, I'll get it for you gorgeous," I assured her, "don't you worry."

"Thanks, Laura," Lilly made a kissing noise into the phone, "you're the best."

"I know," I smirked and hung up.

I was going shopping to find a present for Tara. She was going to be thirteen. She was at that stage where I was unsure whether to buy kids stuff, or presents for a teenager. Lilly had told me to pick up something she'd ordered, which she couldn't do herself as she had to go to university. I had work too, but I didn't mind. I didn't have a class third anyway.

Sandra picked me up and took me to school.

I really had to find myself a new car now the insurance people had given me the money. Then again, with a broken wrist it was a little pointless. Although I was hoping the cast would come off soon, I was getting sick of it. It was nothing but a nuisance.

***

"So how's my baby girl?" I asked, wrapping my arm around my cute little girlfriends shoulder.

"She's good," Lilly hugged my torso, "how about you?"

"Better now," I tapped her nose.

"Laura!" A young voice half shouted with excitement, just seconds before someone barrelled into me. "Lilly said you'd come!"

"Of course," I stroked her black hair, "couldn't miss out on seeing such a cutie grow into an oldie."

"I'm not old!" Tara protested, and I chucked her chin.

"You'll be needing a hearing aid soon," her mouth opened but I continued, "or perhaps glasses considering you can't see you're cute."

She glared and stomped away, "you're mean!"

I chuckled to myself, and took Lilly's hand in mine.

"She's still such a kid," she observed, and I had to agree. "I like it more that way I think," she continued thoughtfully. "She's not as scarred as the rest of us."

I kissed the top of her head, unable to say anything. She knew I understood though.

"Are you coming?" Tara stuck her head around the doorway, and Lilly nodded.

"In a minute," she pulled me up the stairs to her bedroom and locked the door.

"You want me that badly?" I smirked, and she rolled her eyes.

"You got her present?"

"Oh, yes," I pulled it out my pocket, having forgotten it was there.

She took it from me and wrapped it in bright, cheerful paper. She wrapped a ribbon around and with a few deft movements tied a bow to finish it off.

"I should get a reward for getting this for you," I said as the thought struck me.

Lilly continued writing in the card, and replied, "sure, I'll give you it later."

"I can hardly wait," I said, bouncing like a little kid on Christmas.

"Be careful with that," she warned, and I calmed myself down, not wanting to wreck Tara's present before she could even open it.

"It's funny how you're the adult now."

The blonde stuck her tongue out at me. "That's only because you're such a kid."