Chapter Eight

Lilly

The café was nearly empty when I arrived; not many people were willing to get up early on the first day of their weekend.

I found a table for two beside a window and sat looking out of it.

I was a little early but not as early as I'd hoped to be. I had slept in but Anne woke me retching loudly. She was still sick even though everyone else had long since recovered. She had eaten more than the rest of us, that was her problem.

"Can I get you anything?" A young waiter stood beside me, his pen poised. His hair was slicked back and his uniform impeccable. He looked nervous, his hands trembled slightly and he didn't look up from his notepad.

"Not yet," I replied. "I'm waiting for someone."

He began to walk away but I spotted Miss Hart just outside the cafe and called him back.

She pushed open the door, breezed over and sat in the chair opposite me.

"Hey," she said, a little breathlessly. Her hair was messy from the wind and it made her look adorable.

"What do you want to drink?" I asked.

"A cappuccino please." She looked up at the waiter. He scribbled that down before turning to me.

"A moccachino."

"Anything else, ladies?"

"No. That's it thanks." I said.

Miss Hart took off her thin jacket revealing a skin tight black top that made me gulp.

"How are you?" She asked and I somehow managed to drag my eyes up from her stunning body to look her in the eyes.

"I'm great. I was going slightly crazy being inside all day, to be honest your texts are probably the only thing that kept me sane."

"I get that," she said, "it's amazing to go out into the fresh air after a long time inside."

"Yeah." I said, "I wanted to kiss the grass but there were people there and... it would've looked strange."

As she laughed her face lit up and I couldn't keep my eyes off her. She placed her hand on top of mine, and even though it probably meant nothing to her, my heart sped up and my breathing came quicker. Was it normal for someone to affect me so much? Did it happen to everyone when a beautiful woman smiled at them?

She had stopped laughing but her hand still rested on mine as she stared into my eyes as though searching for something there.

Her eyes were a mix between green and hazel. In some lights they looked almost brown and in others as green as an emerald. Today they looked like autumn leaves in the sun; dappled green with a hint of brown. She seemed unable to look away, I knew for me it was impossible. Her expression was unreadable but her eyes were warm. All I wanted to do was kiss her until they closed. For a second I thought I saw the same want reflected in her expression as she bit her lip.

The waiter arrived with our coffee, startling both of us. We had moved closer without realising and jumped apart, her releasing my hand.

I stared down at my coffee, swirling some sugar through it, not able to meet her gaze again.

When I did pluck up the courage to finally meet her eyes she was staring at me as though memorising my face. She looked away instantly, her cheeks turning pink. I smiled to myself and she glanced back before I could hide it. Her cheeks turned as red as a tomato.

She coughed and said, "uh, what have you been up to?"

"I've been seeing friends, not much else." I watched her neck as she swallowed, "you?"