03 → See, That Wasn't So Hard

The lights were turned on to reveal a boy with light brown hair

The lights were turned on to reveal a boy with light brown hair. He was breathing heavily and Vera could see the beads of sweat forming on his forehead.

There was a loud thud as the guard slammed the boy against a wall.

Vera smiled and folded her arms across her chest.

"I'm curious as to what you mean, but that isn't my priority right now. What I do want to know is where the new survivors are." She said calmly.

"Why do you want to know?" The boy yelled and was met with a fist to the head.

"Because as an intern doctor, I was instructed with the tasks of collecting blood samples," Vera answered. "Isn't that obvious?"

The boy didn't say anything and was silent for a few minutes before Vera was forced to repeat what she said.

"If you're not deaf, then it would be nice if you answered me. Where are the new survivors?"

The guard lifted a fist, about to hit the boy again when he shouted, "Okay, okay! I'll talk!"

Vera motioned for the guard to release him and the boy landed with a sickening crack onto the floor.

"They arrived yesterday. They looked like they knew things that we didn't. A group of boys. That's all I know, I swear." The boy said quickly.

Vera nodded, a smile of satisfaction creeping onto her face. "Thank you. See, that wasn't so hard was it?"

And with that, she left the room.

It wasn't long before she could hear the crackling of the walkie-talkie inside her bag.

Vera fumbled to get it and when it was safely in her hand, she pushed a button to hear Janson speaking.

"Checking...1...2..3," He began before saying, "Some of the subjects are already in the medical wing. We're just waiting for you to carry out your job now. And have fun while you're at it, too."

Vera smiled, a gesture so small that she doubted anyone could've seen it. Janson wasn't the only sadistic one.

"Copy that." She replied. "I'll get there as soon as possible...if I don't get lost, that is."

Vera slowly turned to look at the guard behind her, who nodded to show his understanding.

She released the button and stored it back into her bag.

"Well, let's go."

The medical wing was full of life, with doctors scrambling around to get things done

The medical wing was full of life, with doctors scrambling around to get things done. Janson was right; the subjects were already there.

Vera saw faces that looked familiar, but she couldn't quite place where she saw them.

Deciding to ignore it, Vera stepped into the middle and announced, "Okay, listen up. I'm here to do my job and you're going to cooperate with me."

Immediately, all faces turned to look at her.

Vera returned the faces, slowly looking into each person's eye.

She was smiling until she came to one that caught her attention.

They belonged to a dirty blonde-haired teenage boy, who she assumed was part of the new subjects.

Vera quickly looked away. She had to stay focused.

Pulling out the syringes inside her bag, her smile never leaving her face and said, "Let's make sure none of you are infected."

Few things to take care of

I changed her name.

Edit: I will be updating on Wednesday's.

Thanks for reading!

< Emily >