01 → DNA Samples

The last city that was safe from the Flare was beautiful

The last city that was safe from the Flare was beautiful. Well, safe for now.

Compared to the other cities, this one was beautiful. With tall skyscrapers and glittering lights, Vera actually did feel safe here. But no one was safe in this world.

The Flare was going to get them sooner or later.

"Is something on your mind?" A voice asked.

Vera turned to see a blonde-haired woman dressed in white clothing standing behind her.

"Chancellor. Can I help you with anything?" She said, immediately standing up straighter.

The woman took a seat on a nearby couch in the room, staring through the front glass wall.

"I'm sure that you're aware that the Maze Trials are finally completed after an excruciating amount of time. They were a complete success, like you predicted. I apologize that you were not able to spectate them, but they weren't that interesting at all." She began.

Vera looked at the chancellor of WCKD with an indecipherable expression.

"It doesn't matter whether I've watched them or not. What matters is we get this done as quickly as possible." She said.

"Ah, well, patience is key to unlocking the world's greatest secrets. It is time to begin Phase Two of the experiments and Janson has already collected the subjects and is now in the facility. I want you to go there and gather physical DNA samples from the subjects." Ava said.

Vera felt a chill go down her spine, but she hid her fear because fear makes you weak and she wasn't weak.

"Of course. Whatever you need me to do." She replied.

"I am well aware that you have never been outside of the city before, but your job is crucial to finding a cure and we can't stop now. I appreciate your loyalty and courage." Ava said.

Vera nodded numbly. "I will do anything for WCKD and for a cure."

Ava smiled, but it didn't quite meet her eyes. "That's good. Since Janson is already at the facility, I want you to take a spare copter. Two guards will be assisting you." She told Vera as
she stood up and walked over to a shelf stocked with glass vials. Some were full, others were not. Ava took out a few vials...about eleven.

"There is no one I trust more with this job than you." She said, handing them to Vera, who took them.

Speechless, Vera stared down at the shiny, reflective vials.

"I will do what I can." She said, slipping them into her bag.

"Perfect. And I have a feeling that you would really like the subjects of this group. After all, you know two of them." Ava said, gently pushing Vera out the door.

Vera's heart was thumping as the door shut behind her.

Was it really worth it? Risking her life for an organization that promised her a cure? Perhaps the cure would be developed after she died, but if she couldn't get her hands on it while she was still alive, it meant nothing.

Thank you for reading!

Tell me, is this chapter too short?

And I hope I got Ava's personality right...

< Emily >