02 → The Facility

Vera slowly walked along the hallways of the WCKD headquarters and thinking about that just happened

She didn't understand how she was supposed to get those samples. After all, those subjects must've been extremely confused once rescued and she doubted that any of them would willingly give her blood samples. She guessed she would have to use force...or maybe a bit of charm.

When Vera reached the rooftop, she could already hear the hum of the copter and she could see two guards standing on the sides of the entrance.

A breeze swept by and the night felt peaceful if Vera wasn't leaving the city.

For a moment, she got distracted by the sight and started to wonder about what it was going to be like when she left. She hadn't been outside of the last city in seven years.

"Miss, we have to leave now if we want to make it on time." One of the guards said, drawing Vera back to reality.

"Oh." Vera began, smiling oddly. "Oh, right. I apologize."

She got onto the copter and made herself comfortable.

"Miss, are you ready?" The other guard called from the pilot's seat.

Vera nodded, her false smile never leaving her face.

"Yes."

When they arrived, Vera could already see Janson waiting for her, and he was impatient too

"It's about time. C'mon." He said, motioning for her to follow him. "We don't have much time. This group is a smart one."

"You think everyone's smart. I think you should change your standards." Vera muttered

Janson chuckled and started by leading her to a storage room where there were a lot of supplies.

"Here's the story. One of my colleagues fell asleep and you're temporarily replacing him. Ava told me what you came here for and you'll get it...soon. I prefer you to do it now, so that we won't have an immature worker messing things up, but I can't object to the chancellor." Janson told her.

Vera ignored him. She had been with WCKD for six years. She didn't need people telling her what to do.

"That's fine with me." She replied.

Janson looked thoughtful for a few moments before answering, "I don't see any harm in having you explore the facility."

Vera nodded slowly as Janson lead her outside. "Go ahead." He said before motioning for one of the guards to follow her.

Vera let out a sigh and started down the long hallways.

She didn't get that far when she felt a hand on her wrist, pulling her into a room.

"Something's up and you're helping me figure it out." A mysterious voice said.

I'm sorry for not updating sooner!

I don't think I did a good enough job with Janson...

But thank you for Reading!

< Emily >