Chapter Forty-Four

Start from the beginning

"Stupid wolf." I mutter, knowing well he could hear me.

"What?" He grunts, head tilting as he looks straight at me.

"You are a stupid wolf." I reply loudly, enunciating every word whilst I glare at him.

"Luna -"

"You thought that if I left I would be protected?! Well, look where that's got us, Kaden!" I seethe, standing and walking closer to the steel bars. "That's the most idiotic thing you've ever done!"

"Stop it!" He snarls, making his way closer to the cell door, careful not to touch the silver bars.

"I cannot believe I have a dumbass for a mate." I huff, crossing my arms and looking away.

"You're lucky we're in separate cells otherwise I would spank you so hard right now." He growls warningly, his eyes narrowing in on my wounds.

"How the hell are you horny?! They're probably going to kill us!" I snap, standing and pacing the length of the cell.

"Just calm down. Axel's pack and the others are on their way and -"

"You don't know that! They could be captured too." I point out, ignoring how his body starts to tremble.

"Shut up, you're so annoying!" He roars suddenly, punching the cement wall and creating a hole in it.

"This is how I get in scary situations so deal with it!" I scream back, my eyes widening when I realise I've blurted out how I really feel.

The angry expression on his face falls before it's replaced with a soft, sad one. I blink back my tears, not wanting to seem weak in front of him. If he can be strong in this situation then I can too...or at least try. I frown when I feel emotions of pain, longing and sadness. My eyes widen when I realise it's the bond, it came back.

He smiles, a sense of calm washing over me. I grip the metal bar, wanting to be close to him but feeling helpless. "At least we would've been in the same cell if we were captured together."

"No," He chuckles humourlessly, resting his arms on his knees as he takes a seat on the ground. "They're not that kind."

"I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack." I whimper, running a hand through my hair. "What if they torture us with tools or cut us up into pieces? What if they poison us?! What if -"

"This isn't a horror movie, sweetheart." He deadpans and I can slightly make out that he's rolling his eyes. "Don't worry, Luna. I'm right here."

"Oh, that's just great." I drawl in a sarcastic tone, as if him being here fixes everything. "Wow, we're totally safe now."

"Luna." He huffs in a warning tone, shooting me a sideways glance.

"Sorry, I get sarcastic and piss people off when I'm terrified." I sigh, resting my head against the wall. "That's why I probably have a giant bruise on my cheek."

"I am so sorry." His voice cracks, making me look up.

There's tears in his eyes as he stares at me, those stormy blue orbs roaming over my bruised body. I smile slightly, shaking my head. I wish I could walk over and hug him, reassure him that everything will be okay. I long to be in his arms again, to breathe in his scent and to feel his soft lips on mine.

"Kaden," I call his name, hearing him hum in reply. "Why didn't you come with me to the airport at least?"

"Because I knew if I did, I wouldn't let you leave." He sighs, running his hand through his tousled hair. He shakes his head at my confused gaze, explaining further. "The Council ordered me to send you back. I knew you would be stubborn so I had to force you to leave. I didn't have a choice Luna, I'm sorry."

I nod, it makes sense now. He didn't come down because he was restraining himself. "What about your phone? I called you so many times."

"The investigators took every device off me." He growls, lips set in a deep frown.

We are quiet for a while, lost in our thoughts. The sound of an owl hooting in the distance reaches my ears and I smile, at least it's better than never-ending silence. I look over at my mate, taking in his torn shirt and bloodied jeans, my brows furrowing as I think about how they caught him. Probably at one of the airports if he was on his way back or in New York before dragging him here.

"W-What does he want you to make a decision about?" I ask, dread filling me at the memory of Reid's words.

"He wants me to lead the pack of rogues he's started, kill each neighbouring pack one by one and keep him safe." Kaden sighs, closing his eyes tiredly. "He's lost his damn mind, the Council already knows he's alive."

"What do we do when he comes back?" I whimper, hugging my knees to my chest. "I'm scared, Kaden."

"I know, baby. But I'm here and I won't let you get hurt again." A warm feeling spreads through my body, making me smile at how he's comforting me. "I'll think of something, we're going to get out."

'I love you.' I whisper in our mind link, loving the smile that blooms on his lips.

'And I love you, my little moon. More than life itself.' He grins, winking at me when I blush.

If you enjoyed reading this chapter, please VOTE and COMMENT!

Next update: Tuesday!

- R.W.