Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen – Winter Carnival

I'm on my lunch break at work when Kaden calls me to ask if my friends and I are free to go to a carnival tonight. I tell him that I will definitely come along but will have to ask my housemates if they don't have anything else planned.

I hang up and finish the rest of my sandwich before texting Maddox and Eva in our group chat about the carnival. Eva instantly replies and agrees to come, stating how she hasn't been to one in ages. Maddox replies just as I stand up to head back to work in the ICU, telling me that he has no plans and would love to go.

I text them the time we need to leave and we decide that Maddox will drive us. As I walk into the department where I'm needed for today, I quickly text Kaden about how we'll just meet him there at seven p.m. He immediately replies and tells me he can't wait to see me, making me smile widely.

Before I can text him back, I see Henry up ahead talking with the Doctor I am going to be assisting today. Immediately, I put my phone in the pocket of my trousers before greeting them both. We make our way towards the intensive care unit before Doctor Haven and I get started whilst Henry takes a seat in a corner so he can fill out my report and help me if I run into difficulties.

Time goes by slowly as I work, learning how to tend to patients who have just come out of surgery or are experiencing trauma. I find it much tougher here than in the A&E as it involves life and death situations but I know I want to work in this field because I want to help save as many lives as possible.

As I work, Dr Haven teaches me how to take careful assessment of patients and how to monitor their progress, along with what I can do if there are any sudden or subtle changes in their health. I also learn to manage medication doses, anaesthesia and ventilator support.

I'm on my feet for the whole day, rushing around to get supplies and tend to patients under the supervision of Doctor Haven and Henry. That makes me nervous as I don't want to do anything wrong because it might cause the patient discomfort or pain.

But I manage and they tell me that I did well for my first day in demonstrating my abilities to care for patients. I feel proud of myself as I walk down the hallway after bidding them goodbye, finally able to go home. I grab my things and shut down the computer before clocking out and walking to the bus stop near the hospital.

It was only five and thankfully there was a bus that takes the route towards my home at this hour. I soon see the familiar vehicle, paying for my ticket before taking a seat. I quickly call my parents and ask them about their day, remembering to tell my mum that I'll be at a carnival later with my friends so I might not be able to call just before bed.

We talk for a while longer before I tell her I must go when I see the bus driving up the street where my neighbourhood is. Hanging up, I press the button that alerts the driver to stop before I thank him and get off along with two other people.

I make my way into the neighbourhood, seeing other students coming and going, before unlocking my door and stepping in. I decide to start getting ready and head upstairs. I knew it was going to get colder by seven so I pick out my oversized denim jacket with a thick white sweater, black jeans and my white sneakers.

I jump into the shower and quickly wash my body, leaving my hair since I washed it this morning. I almost don't want to get out from under the hot spray of water but I do, grabbing my pink towel and drying my body with it. I put on my underwear before slipping on the sweater and jeans, walking back into my room.