Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven – Change of Heart.

I walk into the hospital at exactly 8.55 a.m. and clock in before taking my seat behind the receptionist's desk. After turning on the computer, I turn to grab the list of tasks for today...only to find no paper on my desk. I move stuff out of my way, looking underneath folders and notepads but with no such luck.

"Weird. Why hasn't Henry given me my list today?" I mumble, standing up and deciding to just ask him myself. I walk towards his office, knocking on the door before opening it when he calls me in. He's looking through a file whilst making notes but stops as soon as I walk in.

"Good morning, Luna." He smiles, making me stare at him in confusion.

"Um...good morning sir. I was wondering about my tasks today? There is no list on the table." I explain, watching him make a noise of exclamation before reaching over and grabbing a piece of paper.

"There you go." He says and I step forward and grab it.

I'm shocked that there are only five tasks for me to do today and at the bottom it says that I can leave when I'm finished. I look up at Henry for confirmation and he nods his head with a smile, his hands clasped in front of him. I turn and make my way out of the door, something was up with him today. He's normally barking orders at me left, right and centre until I'm reduced to an exhausted mess by the end of the day.

Nevertheless, I carry on and start on my first task which is filing some paperwork. I get that done in thirty minutes whilst greeting patients and taking calls. There's a rush today and people are walking in and out, some having appointments and some visiting their loved ones.

Around one in the afternoon, I take my break and walk towards the canteen in the hospital. Grabbing a pack of sandwiches, a salad and a smoothie, I pay for my food before finding a table. I scroll through my phone from one app to another whilst texting Maddox, who is also at work.

After I'm done with lunch, I make my way back and find that one of the doctors would like me to join him so that I could learn more about tending to patients in the emergency department. I make my way towards the ward he's directed me to and meet him by the desk.

"Ah, Luna!" He smiles widely, telling me to follow him. "You're going to be with me in the emergency department today."

"Great! I'm excited to learn." I smile, looking up at him as he explains what we will be doing today.

I am on acute placement at this hospital which means that I see the treatment of patients with serious conditions. I'm often called to the emergency wards where I'm taught how to react as quickly as possible or to the ICU where the experienced doctors and nurses teach me how to care for patients with conditions over a long period.

Most of the time I call in advance of my shift to see what I'll be doing and how I should prepare. When the rush is slow, which is a rare occurrence, I'm in the emergency department or the ICU wards all day but other times, I'm either helping the doctors in other units of the hospital or doing receptionist work.

"Now, there's a bit of a rush so I don't know how long it will take before I let you go. Henry will join us after an hour." Doctor Barnaby explains, holding the door open for me.

I thank him and step into the ward, immediately seeing people occupying the waiting area. Dr Barnaby leads me to his assigned room and I take a seat, opening my notepad and taking out a black pen. After he has set up and assessed his schedule, he calls the first patient in.