The Quest: Chapter 19

Start from the beginning

Legolas looked back at Alannah to make sure she was decent before stepping aside and inviting him inside.

"Good morning." Aragorn spoke as he nodded at Legolas and smiled at Alannah. It was obvious to Aragorn he may have caught them in the middle of an intimate moment from the flush on Alannah's cheeks. He looked away for a moment to hide his grin, making no mention of it.

"We're meeting in the throne room shortly." Aragorn announced with a more serious tone.

"I'll walk with you." Legolas responded. He quickly pulled on his boots and jerkin before clasping his elven cloak around his shoulders.

"You won't be long?" Aragorn asked Alannah. She shook her head as she walked over to the armoire Legolas had left open.

"No, I'll be just a few minutes." Alannah said as she sorted through the few gowns she owned. Legolas leaned over and planted a soft kiss on her lips before following Aragorn out the door.

Alannah pulled out a dark yellow gown, letting her fingers trace over the fabric fondly. It was her favorite dress since it was light and casual, perfect for a day void of parties or battles. She turned the latch to lock the door before pulling off her robe and gown and stepping into the dress. Gandalf had brought it to her a few years prior as a gift for her birthday and it was an item that was dear to her heart. The familiar cloth was comforting against her skin and she felt more like herself again, before her life had changed so drastically. She chose to wear her hair down as she slipped on her boots, admiring that though a bit odd, they paired well with the daffodil hued garment.

As she stepped out of her room and walked down the corridor, she noticed a strange combination of energies. The calm before the storm as most would describe it, except the calm just happened to be settled between the ends of one battle in preparation for another. Her chest tightened at the thought of Frodo and Sam in the depths of Mordor and prayed that somehow, they would fulfill their quest and once again be home safe in the Shire.

The throne room was quiet as she entered. Gimli still sat propped in the black chair of the steward, puffing on a pipe. Aragorn and Legolas stood with Eomer, discussing what the next move should be. Alannah sat beside Gimli on the stairs to the throne and listened, herself having no suggestion on what to do. They were so close to victory the closer the hobbits got to destroying the ring and with the success of the prior day's battle, they needed to devise a plan, and quickly. They needed to do something to draw away the gaze of the great eye that kept close watch on the dark lands so that the two brave hobbits could succeed.

Legolas looked at Alannah as she was lost in her own deep thoughts and raised an eyebrow at her odd apparel. Her elven boots paired well with the gown, although a stark comparison to what most ladies would wear. She emitted a more relaxed energy and Legolas smiled at her, satisfied to see her how she usually appeared aside from her men's disguise and her elven clothes from Lothlorien. In that moment, she was just Alannah. He cut his attention back to the discussion as Gandalf and Aragorn became incensed in a newly proposed plan.

"We draw out Sauron's armies, empty his lands. Then we gather our full strength and march on the black gate." Aragorn proposed boldly as Gimli choked on his pipe smoke. Alannah was drawn out of her own worried mind, her hope suddenly renewed.

"We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms." Eomer said as he stepped forward. Aragorn was unwavering in his response. "Not for ourselves, but we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's eye fixed upon us. Keep him blind to all else that moves."

"A diversion." Legolas confirmed as the plan took its form. Even the look of worry for the small hobbits seemed to be lessened as they agreed upon the tactic. Alannah smiled as Gimli nudged her joyfully. Perhaps they die in doing so, but Middle Earth could live on.