Chapter 32 | The Last Game

Go check out my new reader interactive if you wanna know more but today just read because y'all deserve a chapter for once!

Please vote, comment, follow, and share!

-Anne

•••

Chapter 32 | The Last Game

Click. Click. Click.

My camera went off as the crowd went wild one last time.

Students were decked out in blue, silver, and white.

The bleachers were packed, parents running to grab their kids or some concession food.

JV had ended with a win about 25 minutes ago and varsity were practicing their throws and catches on one side of the field.

"Lana! A little help here!" Hailey yelled, as some of the girls were struggling with their stunts.

I placed the camera in the bag and rushing over, tightening my pony tail in the process.

It was hectic to say the least. For some of us like Grayson and I, this would be our last game so the turnout was through the roof.

Emotions were mixed with sadness and nostalgia all at once. 

Scouts were lined up, scouting both of the teams for future players today.

We were going against our toughest competitors in the league. A game between Clearwater and Leyva we're always unpredictable as every game ended with a close score.

Cheer scouts were lined up as well, looking for a new captain at their university or perhaps another stunt group.

Today was stressful to say the least.

Our routine was nearly impossible, our coach choosing one of the hardest professional cheer routines and choreographies to do throughout the game and the half time show. For a high school squad, it was uncommon that we had the skills of an actual competing team.

As the stadium lights began flicking on and the clock neared 7, our coach pulled us in for a huddle.

"Listen here, some of our seniors are leaving this year and will be well missed. Cheering for football is an unforgettable experience and for some of you sophomores and juniors should cherish your last couple of years here. The stunts are hard today, very very tough. But, I know you guys can do it because I have faith in you. I will do the closing statements at the end of the game, so save the tears ladies." Coach Tori explained, her eyes over.

"Go walk out your players and cheer well so that you don't make your captains disappointed. Lana has someone filling in for her at her camera station so as you all know she will be doing all our tumbling drills today. Hailey might be injured but you best believe she will be bringing her game doing the cheers to rile up the crowd. Let's go!" She ordered.

We smiled at each other before going in for a huddle that consisted of a small captain talk before the one at the end and then we made our ways to the tunnel where the football players had gathered.

"Babe you ready?" I asked as I neared Gray.

Gray had returned to play only 2 games ago, this being his third. Though the team played well, it was safe to say they were beyond glad to have their quarterback back to call the plays.

"No, I don't think I'll ever be." Gray smiled, pulled me in for a hug as he kissed my #1 pin on my bow.

I smiled as I looked up at him. The two of us had a date planned after the game, his surprise to me.

"To think," I sighed, taking in the volume of the crowd, "This is our last time in these positions."

I teared up at the thought. This place held so many of my high school memories. Before I'd knew it, time had flown by and I would be graduating soon.

"Doesn't mean it's our last time on a field babe." He reassured me and I smiled at the thought of our future.

"Presenting our star player and varsity captain and his very own varsity captain cheerleader, give it up for Grayson Christensen and Elena Dunns!" The announcers yelled.

My heart constricted at the sound of the crowd.

Now this, was something I would definitely miss.

My entrance was nearly flawless as I cartwheeled beside Grayson's jog to center field.

I ended by showing off a scorpion and landing a kiss on Gray as the crowd ignited in 'awww's.

"For the three years it has been a blessing to have such a player on our team." His coach started as he made his way to center field as well.

"With an incredible arm and nearly perfect plays, playing along side his teammates, Grayson will always be a favorite of mine in all honesty. Despite the fact that he wasn't being punished, he didn't mind running a long time a teammate that was being disciplined as well. 'A teammate should never have to walk alone'. It was with a mindset like that did Grayson get where he is today. As a captain for 3 of the 4 years in varsity, he was just a good sport and an all around nice dude. I mean even the seniors didn't mind him being quarterback and captain as a mere sophomore. Yet, now he is standing in front of us today as a senior himself, ready to take on what life has in store for such talent. You may go on to play big Gray, but this is your home—and you are always welcomed." Coach ended.

His speech had brought some tears and you could see our opponents standing and clapping for him as well.

A single lone tear shed from my eye as I looked up at the mad staring into the crowd, admiring them with all his heart.

It was only when the announcer finished the list with the last of the seniors did those blue-gray eyes look at me.

He pulled me in for a sweet peck on the lips, nothing sexy and demanding about it.

It was then that I realized it.

Love is a powerful thing that has yet to be explained.

But I, Elana Maeabelle Dunns was completely and utterly in love with Grayson Cooper Christensen with all that my heart could allow.

Yet, I wouldn't change a thing.

•••

Updated: 3•14•18 (two minutes b4 midnight)