Chapter 4/Part 1

Something had changed within me over the last few days. I hate to say it was because of a certain boy's interest in me but I can't think of any other reason than that. I woke up in the morning without complete dread for the day. I woke up and got ready for school without a fuss and rushed out the door when I spotted Alex through the window, waiting for me to walk to the bus stop. I still didn't have a clue what was going on, but I just went with it. I couldn't get through to Amelia, no matter how much I wanted to since she was never on the school bus now and she never left when everyone else did but instead I saw her sneaking off to the library whilst everyone else rushed to the exit. I was beginning to think she might be sleeping there. The Finch House students were clogging up the hallway around the main stairwell as they slowly made their way into their Tuesday morning assembly. I flew up the stairs, keen to get into the library. I loved my Tuesday morning double free, and today I couldn't wait to see Jem. I was looking forward to chatting away as I aimlessly wandered in between the stacks of books and occasionally fixed up an incorrect book – it's not even laziness, it's just some kids don't seem to know their alphabet. I breeze through the double doors, into my sanctuary, but I stop as I see Jem talking with Mr Campbell in hushed voices and a look of panic on her face. I wasn't exactly subtle in my entrance so they both look over and a grimace comes over the head teachers face. I start backwards, hoping I haven't been ignorant of a "keep out" sign.

'Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise – I... I'll just go-' Mr Campbell holds a hand up to me, stopping me in my tracks. Now I feel worse. I've interrupted an important conversation and now I can't even run from it.

'It's all right, Elissa. I was just asking Jem here about your friend, Amelia. She's absent once again and I hear she likes to come into the library after school – I was hoping that she may have spoken to Jem about her reasons for missing school but apparently,' he says this with an accusatory glance and my beloved librarian,

'Apparently she hasn't said a word to her. So I guess I'm stuck with having to try and get a hold of home.' He gives a pointed glance at Jem who is taking none of his crap and with widened eyes calls after Mr Campbell,

'I don't know what you expect from me, Sir, but I assure you I have nothing of import to tell you.' I smile, there's nothing I love more than when Jem puts someone in their place, but Mr Campbell has gone, the door not even swinging in his wake and Jem just tuts and shakes her head.

'Honestly, that man.' She mutters. I plan to drop the subject, about to ask Jem if there's any new stock or loan returns needing shelved when I'm pulled into the little office in the middle of the room. I barely have time to register the fact that this little 67 year old woman has enough strength to almost lift me off my feet when she says hurriedly and in a hushed voice

'Elissa, have you spoken with Amelia?' she seems desperate and I feel guilty that I didn't tell Jem before now about the distance growing between us. I briefly explain that, apart from pleasantries – of which there have been few, - that no, I haven't spoken with my so-called best friend. Jem's face falls and she looks down.

'Sill, stupid girl!' At first I think she means me. What have I done?

'I told her specifically not to isolate herself. She needs her friends and now she's dragging me into this mess. At least you can lie for her.' Now I am completely confused. Lie? What on earth would I have to lie for, and how is Jem involved?

'What? What do you mean?' the words come out in a stutter as I look up at Jem, noticing for the first time just how tired she looks. She could have retired two years ago but she doesn't want to spend her days alone in the house – she likes having the kids around her everyday; we keep her young, apparently. She likes our energy. Jem glances out of the windows of the office, looking to see if there's anyone else in the library with us, and even if there were they wouldn't hear what we're talking about through the walls and glass of the little office room. She gives a resigned sigh,