Chapter 4

Knocking on the wooden door, it's yanked open from the other side. Morgan stands in front of me, nostrils flaring, eyes burning with anger and the veins standing out on his neck.

"I believe you were looking for me." I state.

"Come in." He grumbles, pushing open the door.

He strides to sit behind his empty desk, paper is piled high on top of the metal filing cabinets and the only thing on his desk is a closed laptop. He clasps his hands on the glass as I sit in the leather chair opposite him.

"You threatened Captain Rogers?" I ask straight away, as he opens his mouth but I talk first.

"It was necessary." He says.

"No! No it wasn't! Threatening my family is not necessary." I argue, my voice getting louder as my patience wears out.

"Your family? Captain America is not your family." He points out.

"Who are you to tell me who is and isn't my family? Captain Rogers is my family. And I bet if I hadn't come here now, then you would have gone to my dad's and threatened him too. Wouldn't you?" I question.

"Yes. I needed to speak with you." He admits.

"Go on then. You've got three minutes." I offer, looking at my heart rate monitor on the inside of my wrist and noting the time.

"I didn't have permission for the gun." He says, staring down.

"I knew that. What I didn't know was that the Tesseract was back under SHIELD protection, last I heard Thor took it with him and Loki to Asgard, after the New York incident." I explain.

"Odin of Asgard thought it was too dangerous to have the Tesseract so close to Loki. So he requested we have it here instead."

"Why was I not told this? Do the Avengers know?"

"No."

"Surely it's a concern to them? What if the Avengers are needed again for the same thing but because they thought the Tesseract was still in Asgard, they didn't trust you?" I quiz.

"I do not know."

"How can you expect to run this Agency if you keep big secrets like this from me?" I ask.

"Our main rule we follow is: tell secrets to the minimal amount of people possible." He states.

"That's ridiculous." I glance at my watch, before saying "Times up."

I stand up from my chair and stride to the door.

"Stark, wait. So you are definitely not building weapons for us?"

"Not for you! I shredded the plans anyway and I have no copies." I point out.

Opening the door, I storm through with the anger bubbling in my veins.

Who knew working for SHIELD would be this complicated?

Stepping into the silent house, I place my keys on the rack by the door and wander into the living room. Zeke is sat on the sofa, a beer in his left hand and some papers on the coffee table in front of him. Walking forward, I fall onto the sofa beside him and lean my head on his shoulder.

"How did it go?" Zeke asks.

Looking up, his eyes are stuck on me, scanning me like a book. They twinkle with concern and worry.

"Fine." I lie.

"'Fine'?" Zeke questions.

"Yep. Fine."