Chapter 1

"Yes." I mutter.

Sir Morgan begins to shout in my ear, his voice droning through the phone in anger. I hold back a yawn.

"You took Agents into the location before asking for permission! That was irresponsible. How can I trust you in future missions when you manipulate your authority?" He screams.

"I don't know." I whisper.

It was a simple mission. He recommended 20 Agents, so I took 5 and he told me a date, so I went three days before. That's why he's yelling at me, because I didn't follow his 'recommendations'. I used my own initiative and took Abi along with me, it was an extraction mission, to save an Agent that was abducted a month ago. Such a simple mission.

"You were so irresponsible and acted in a completely selfish way. I said 20 Agents. 20! And you took 5? If that would have gone wrong, I would have been to blame!" He shouts.

"Yes." I whisper.

Sir continues to shout me, I stop listen after a few minutes. I hold the phone between my cheek and shoulder, turning to my computer and writing my signature on the bottom of a report, using the draw pad beside me.

"Sir, I took a judgement call. I got the mission done. I don't see the problem to be honest." I admit.

"You don't see the problem? You risked lives and disobeyed orders!" He screams again, I instantly pull the phone from my ears.

Placing the phone on the glass desk, I turn my attention to the computer screen. Every few seconds I pick up the phone and agree with Sir. A knock at the door forces me to look up. My assistant, Lucy, is stood in the doorway holding a folder and smiling. Her red hair is pulled into a neat bun and held in place with pins. She's wearing a simple black dress, with heels and a smile on her slight make up covered face.

"Mrs Stark, Ma'am. A file has arrived for you." She announces.

"Please don't call me ma'am, it's too formal for me." I say.

"My apologies." She smiles, stepping into the room and handing me a file.

Grabbing the phone, I end the call without saying anything. I take the folder from her and flick it open. Inside is a photo of a small girl in a bright pink coat, with her blonde hair in two pigtails and clutching a small teddy bear. Matilda Summer.

"What does this mean?" Lucy asks, looking over my shoulder.

"A child with a power. It's extremely rare, I've never seen this before." I admit.

There's another knock at the door. I look up to see Jake. He smiles weakly, wearing jeans and a black polo-shirt.

"Thank you, Lucy, that will be all." I say.

Lucy smiles and walks out of my office, looking Jake up and down as he glares at her. Then he turns to me.

"Come in, Jake, you don't have to stand in the doorway." I point out.

Jake nods, walking into my office and closing the door behind him. He pulls out a seat and sits opposite me, staring at his hands in his lap.

"How are you, Jake?" I ask.

"I'm good, thanks. You got a new assistant then?" He questions.

"Yes. The Board said I had to get a new one, Lucy has just started today and she's done well so far."

"So...Ive been replaced?" Jake quizzes, his eyes full of sadness.

"That's what SHIELD does, I know, I don't like it really either but it's the way it works." I explain.