Chapter 8

"I've got it, Pepper, I have babysat before." I argue.

Pepper is slipping on her heels and my dad is stood by the door, swinging his keys on his fingers. He's wearing a plain black suit, with matching shoes and recently shaved. He smiles, but looks impatient. Aiden is stood beside my dad, his hand grabbing his dad's and sucking on his other thumb. He's wearing jeans and a shirt, his dark hair styled.

"Are you sure you're okay to do this?" Pepper repeats.

"Go to dinner. You'll be back in a few hours." I point out.

I cradle Sheye in my arms, she fidgets and raises her fist to suck on her fingers. Her cheeks puff out and her eyes shine up at me.

Pepper strolls towards me, leaning down to plant a kiss on Sheye's forehead. She then stands back up and I see tears in her eyes. The guilt and sympathy runs through me, I know what that feels like.

"Bye sweetheart. Thank you so much, Skye, I owe you one." She whispers.

"Just go already." I order, smirking.

Pepper, Aiden and my dad walk out of the door, and she blows kisses before climbing in the car and driving away.

Sheye peers up at me, kicking her feet gently and sending me wide eyes. Her cheeks are rosy red, dribble trickling down her chin as she sucks on her thumb.

"You're so cute, do you know that? You're going to be such a daddys girl and guess what? He will give you everything you want." I explain.

Sheye giggles quietly for a few seconds, like she knows what I'm saying is true.

Sitting on the sofa, I lift my elbow until it's resting on the arm of the chair and I move Sheye into the crook of my arm.

"I know you don't understand what I'm saying. But, I want you to do something for me when you're older. You're going to be surrounded by so many people, family members and friends. But you might still feel alone, like you're the only one against the entire world. That's okay. Come and see me, I'll help you, teach you how to use that to you're advantage. It's alright to feel alone in a big scary world." I whisper, rubbing my thumb down her cheeks.

Sheye's eyes flicker closed and her breathing evens out as she falls asleep. She continues to suck her thumb for a minute and I gently pull it away.

Memories come flooding back. Hope squirming in my arms, her powerful mutant eyes staring up at me with wonder and curiosity, not aware of the danger she is in. Before she started to dislike me.

"You're so lucky, I wish I didn't know how dangerous our world is." I mumble.

"Do you really feel alone?" A voice asks.

Turning my head, I look behind to see Zeke stood in the front doorway. He's wearing jeans, a blue polo shirt and a leather jacket. His eyes are wide with disbelief, shaking his head.

"Let me put Sheye to bed, I assume you want to talk about this?"

He nods.

Standing up, I carry Sheye down the hallway and turn right into her pink nursery. Fairies are painted on the walls, sprinkling fairy dust. There's a chest of toys and a changing table to the side. Leaning over the crib, I carefully lie Sheye on the mattress and pull the pink blanket over her. She stirs for a few seconds before falling back into a deep sleep.

Walking out of her room, I close the door quietly and stroll back down the hallway.

Zeke is stood in the same position. He stares straight at the wall.

"What are you doing here?" I mutter.

"You left your phone." He announces.

Zeke throws my phone and I instantly catch it with my power, making it float into my open palm. His eyes slowly meet mine and the hurt burns bright, making guilt run through my mind.