Chapter Sixteen

Chapter 16 Three Words

It was winter break of sophomore year. My parents were planing to go see my grandma who lived in Nebraska. I began to stress about leaving Chris. His father was getting worse. Chris had a new scar every night.

When I brought up the trip Chris said he'd be alright. Still I kept my room ready to stay in. Then I made sure there was food in the kitchen.

It was time to go to Nebraska. I told Chris about my room and he was more than welcome to stay there. "Maybe I'll stay for a night." He told me and kissed me on the cheek. "Emily we're leaving!" Dad shouted. "Coming!" I yelled back. As I ran to the station wagon I turned over my shoulder and blew a kiss to Chris.

I hated road trips with my family. When dad drove he liked complete silence. That was always the worst because Gordie would tickle me and I'd burst out in laughter. Dad didn't appreciate that. When mom drove she made us sing corny songs like 'She'll Be Comin' Round The Mountain.'

After eight hours of silence, singing, and arguing we arrived at grandmas. Megan, Anna, and I shared a room. Mom and dad got their own room and Gordie got the couch. I thought I'd be able to sleep good after that long of a trip. But the truth is I didn't have Chris's chest next to mine. Yeah I had Megan and Anna but it wasn't the same.

I started thinking how he was doing and if he was at my house. I guess I finally fell asleep because I was being shaken by Anna in the morning. "Get up! Grandma made waffles!" I grabbed her hand and we both went to the kitchen. We ate and then grandma came out with wrapped boxes.

"PRESENTS!" Gordie said loudly. Anna got toys. Megan got art supplies. Gordie got cigarettes and army stuff. I got some new books and high heels. We thanked grandma and mom took a photo. Since it was winter we played in the snow all afternoon. When we came in grandma said, "you all have snow in your eyelashes." "That's from Gordie throwing snowballs so fast." I said.

"Gordon, have you ever thought about playing baseball?" grandma always called him Gordon. "Naw too many jocks. I throw for fun." He replied. "And hurting your sisters." Megan mumbled back and we started laughing. Each of us had three cups of hot coco and then grandma made us chicken noodle soup. We celebrated our Christmas with grandma and we were leaving that Sunday after church.

Church at grandmas started at ten. We sat toward the back and some teenage boys sat behind us. One poked my shoulder and I whipped my head back. "You look hot." The one who poked me said. "Excuse you." I said in my most lady like voice. Gordie was sitting beside me and he put his arm around me. Those teenage boys didn't talk to me the rest of service.

After loading up the car and saying goodbye we went home. I couldn't wait to see Chris! I loved spending time with my family but he was my family too. It was about seven at night when we got home. Each of us grabbed our duffel bags and presents and went upstairs. When I opened my bedroom door Chris wasn't in there. "Boo!" He popped up behind the door. "Ahh!" I screamed and dropped my bags. Chris came close to me and gave me a kiss. "C'mere." He whispered onto my lips.

I followed him through the walkway to my bed. On my small decoration pillow was an envelope with my name on it. "What's this little thing?" I asked. "Why don't you open it?" I normally didn't like questions answered with questions but I was too curious to argue. Chris watched closely as I ripped the triangle flap open. I recognized the stationary of the paper, it was mine.

'Dear Emily, while you we're gone I got to thinking about how I haven't told you everything my heart says. Like when you dress up for a date you look like a super model. When you blush your ears get red not your cheeks. When I grab your hand you never hesitate to hold mine. I feel bad for not saying any of this out loud when I wanted to. You may think I don't notice when you put on extra perfume or when you get new shoes but I honestly notice every little thing you do. You've encouraged me in my worst times and even through my best. You deserve better but I can't lose you. I love you Emily forever and I promise you I will start speaking up. -Chris'

I finished the letter and I was speechless. Sure I would've liked compliments from my boyfriend. But seeing Chris's reactions when he saw me made up for it. "Baby I-I knew you noticed you don't have to feel bad." I told him and his serious face fell into a happy one.

"You need to know theses things and I'm gonna say out loud the little thing I notice from here on out. I love you." I couldn't be more sure of my feelings toward Chris. "I love you too." I told him. Chris pushed me onto the bed and kissed me. "I missed you." I said on his lips. "I missed you looking at me with your green eyes." he replied and smile.

I've gotta admit I'm liking the improvement Chris made while I was gone but he's still the same ole Christopher. I also am liking the three words he said to me as well.