Epilogue

It's funny how all your life people misjudge you. Then when it's too late they see they've been wrong the entire time. Many people who came to Chris' funeral were like that. Gordie and I both thought it was emotionally exhausting. He would've hated this I thought. The focus was on death which made it dark and dreary. Right after the service we went to the CastleRock cemetery for the burial.

That day two best friends lowered their brother to the ground. Gordie and Vern both felt honored to do so. For two weeks I locked myself in my room. Not wanting to speak with or face any human being. But then Chris' dad came to visit me.

He wanted to know why I was caged up in my room. I told him I couldn't face the pain anymore. Which is why he said Chris wouldn't want me living this way. Chris would want me to make my future count. So I came out of my room and started preparing for college. Originally I said I wasn't going to go now that Chris was gone. But talking with his father made me change my perspective. When I was doing paperwork I signed as Emily Chambers. Even though I was never able to marry him I wore the engagement ring for the rest of my life.

Of course I missed him like crazy. Sometimes I can hear him saying crime came with love in my ear and it makes me smile. I never did have any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Geeez does anyone?

The End