Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten The Trial

We all felt grateful for the air when we stepped out of the car. Gordie led us to the front row in the court. Two different police officers took Chris to the chair in front of us. We rose when the judge came in.

Vern, Gordie, and I were the only people in the audience. "Christopher Chambers is charged for the murder of Ace Merill. Chris you have the opportunity to confess you murdered Mr. Merill." The judge spoke. I had a quick feel of anger for her referring to Ace as Mr. Merill.

"Yes ma'am. I killed Mr. Merill." Chris honestly confessed. "Thank you Christopher. I don't find it necessary to continue this trial. You will be in juvy for a year and that's all."

That's all! A full school year and a summer. I cried after she said the word all. Gordie started rubbing my back trying to calm me.

"Take a moment to say your goodbyes Christopher." I think she only said that because I was crying. Chris stood up and turned around. "Next year we'll be the first ones to see you k man?" Gordie said. "You better." Chris replied calmly. "I'll try 'n send you some PEZ. You know I hear prison food is mush sincerely." I couldn't help but laugh at Vern's thought of food. "Good one Verno." Chris said with a laugh. That would be the last time I would see him laugh for a year. Chris and I made eye contact, and without moving his eyes Chris said, "you watch over her guys sophomore year is gonna be filled with rumors for her." "It's a deal man." Gordie said then gave Chris a firm handshake as a promise.

"Look out for leeches on the way home." Chris smiled. I wrapped my arms around his neck. I needed to hold him one last time. "Don't be afraid, we are here for you. Have hope." I whispered in his ear. That was what I wanted him to remember. "Don't grow up too much in one year Chambers." Gordie said. "You either DuChamp."

With that Chris gave to bro hugs, one to Gordie and one to Vern. He turned and got handcuffs put on. Two police officers led him through a door. That was the last time I saw Christopher for a year.