Part 48

The first match is over. Kurama beat the body painter Gama as he forgot to seal Kurama's movement of the head. Therefore he could still use his rosewhip, even though his limbs were sealed from moving by Gama's paint. However, before succumbing, Gama covered Kurama in his energy-sealing spell.

The trouble now is, thanks to the decision to a one-on-one elimination, Kurama will have to keep fighting in this condition. I just hope it won't last long, or he'll be in serious trouble.

The next opponent throws of their cloak to reveal a humanoid demon, whom Hiei instantly recognizes. "Toya, the ice-user. That's his next opponent?!" he exclaims, his tone on edge, worrying me.

"I know Kurama doesn't usually depend on luck, but I suppose he could use some right now huh?" I mutter, ignoring the pain coursing through me at the slightest movements. Hiei nods in confirmation.

Clenching my jaw and fists, I try to keep my nerves at bay. Hopefully Kurama will come up with something to safe his own hide and perhaps take the fight while he's at it.

"Tell me one thing." Kurama starts, questioning his opponent. "Why do you guys, said to be the mightiest of ninja, participating in this fight?" he asks.

"For the light." Toya answers surprisingly after a moment of silence.

"For those who live in shadows in a world already in darkness, there isn't so much a glimmer of light. However, we realized something: with the power we have as Demon realm Ninja, we could live in the outside world as much as we like. Our wish is to have our own territory, unsullied by others, this island. If we win this Dark tournament, we will take this island." Toya explains. "But then, it will serve as no more than our point of departure. In time, we ourselves become light and will envelop this world."

"Hn. A ninja rebellion huh?" Hiei scoffs.

"They seem highly motivated. Gama sacrificing himself says enough to conclude that. Fighting them will prove to be more difficult than I initially though." I say.

Hiei nods, leaning forward on his perch on the table placed inside the tent. "The question is, how does Kurama escape from his attacks? Seiryu was an ice-master, the strongest of ice demons." he muses, remembering the fight.

Looking back to Toya, I understand what he's trying to say. Ice demons are quick and are powerful. There is no way Kurama is getting off easy. We should prepare for the worst. The thought alone makes me cringe.

"That's enough talk. Your intention must be to buy some time, but I cannot allow that." Toya says smugly.

"I guess you figured me out." Kurama smirks as Koto announces the match to start.

Toya wastes no more time and quickly covers the floor in a solid layer of ice and the ring is caught in a light icy mist. Next, he forms ice particles in his hand before blowing them towards Kurama. They fly at him at a great speed and Kurama tries hard to move as much as he can and avoid getting hit. His movements are still slow, and as a result gets cut. Toya repeats his assault multiple times before knocking Kurama to the ground.

It takes a moment, but he does get back on his feet, blood dripping from his body and staining his clothes and the ground beneath him.

He starts running again while opening his shirt and rubbing his bloody hand across his chest. I look on curiously as the marks on his body disappear. They have been nullified by Kurama's own blood. That was a smart thing to do.

Taking a rose from his hair, he summons his whip. I cringe as he loses control of it, cutting his own cheek before it turns back into the rose it was. Apparently he still has not enough Demon energy to his disposal.